PDA

View Full Version : palace flophouse boatshed

Paul Pless
10-16-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/pc78bb0790a2c4f1d20f7d0ffe47fe4d6/f1dd5e1b.jpg

So guys, I'm biting the bullet. I just put up one of those greenehouse style tarp sheds so I can build a boat. Its schedule 40 pvc pipe over rebar stakes and measures 15x15x35. Went up quick and cheap. And looks it too :D . The barn behind it houses my shop tools: table saw, band saw, drill press, air compressor, jointer and thickness planer. It also will be my lumber shed.

This week I'm gonna visit my sawyer friends and see what I might be able to dig up.

Well gotta go stake it down, before the wind blows my tarp into the neighbors pasture. :D

peace, out,
Paul

editted to add:
Can't let Dingo have all the fun.

[ 10-16-2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

StevenBauer
10-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Paul, those blue tarps don't hold up well to UV radiation and working in the blue light in there will drive you bonkers. You can order white polytarps over the internet that will hold up to UV better and not drive you crazy.

Whacha buildin'?

Steven

Paul Pless
10-16-2005, 05:39 PM
thanks Steve,

This is a used tarp, I already own - I thought maybe I'd use it during the winter for the solar heat. Besides that there are no tarps or even large rolls of contractor's plastic available round here due to the huricanes.

I've been thinking hard about something like this, but I already own a couple of fishing boats; so the idea of a small cruising sailboat is really appealing, probably a sharpie. I really like that Mystic Sharpie thats being bandied about lately.

http://lymanboat.com/hendrick.jpg

Paul

[ 10-16-2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

Paul Pless
10-16-2005, 06:28 PM
damn Steve, that blue light would never have bothered me if you hadn't brought it up ;)

next step is to see if my wifi reaches that far away from the office

JimD
10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Got a hankerin' for a sharpie, eh, Paul? I always liked Glen-L's slightly smaller Chessie Flier. Interesting how the main and mizzen sails look so much like Mystic only without the faux topsail.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/pae8d4874fb582a4791267001b4652a9a/f1dcef0f.jpg

Nice pinkie stern, too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/pefcc320d2b7936c8b4d6d86d2b392696/f1dcef0d.jpg

PS - nice boat shed!

[ 10-16-2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: JimD ]

Farmer Diddley
10-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Paul,

I'm looking to build a similar structure with the same exact dimensions. Can you give a little more detail on the construction? Is the rebar driven into the ground, with some of it sticking out, and the PVC pipe just slips over the rebar? What diameter PVC did you use? Is there any kind of ridge pole?

Thanks!
Steve

Paul Pless
10-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Steve,

I have not hung any lights yest so I'll have to wait till the morning to post an interior picture for you. I drove 3/8" rebar 4.5 feet in the ground leaving 4.5 sticking up. I then slid 1" schedule 40 PVC over the rebar. I criss crossed the pipes, geodesic pup tent style and I did run a ridge pole on top after all that was done. Whereever poles cross each other I used a big ziptie to lash everything together. Mainly because I wanted to impress my redneck friends I added some ducttape over the zipties - it should help prevent the tie from shifting and chaffing the polytarp. I then staked the tarp down tight to the ground with rebar stakes. The tarp is flush to the frame on one side and leaves about a four foot leanto type area on the other side. I used crush and run for the floor.

Excluding the crush and run gravel, I've got less than $175.00 in the whole thing.

It seems pretty sturdy, but I'll report back after the first major wind storm. :D

Paul

Adamant
10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Reusing a used tarp? what are you doing, trying to be as cheap as us swamp yankees?

Looks good from my angle.

Good luck with the boat. ;)

kc8pql
10-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Caution:
Alabama = no snow load
Vermont = ???

Paul Pless
10-16-2005, 10:36 PM
kc8pql ,

LOL. yeah, it hasn't snowed here in about ten years, that could be a real issue. You might could add temporary hardlegs if need be.

Incidentally, just to see what would happen, I grabbed my ridge pole and stepped off the ladder. It simply bowed the entire structure down. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs. the 'tent' gave no indication that it would break, just did a whole lot of bending.

Paul

Badley Built
10-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Ummm.... Nice car!

RonB.

John B
10-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Its an awful car. I hate it. Its dreadful. we can't buy them here.I didn't want one before.I don't suppose you'd have a sound file would you? ;)

Wild Dingo
10-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Stop yer sookin yer flamin woodenboat spoilt sheep chucker! :eek: tongue.gif its just a girls blouse machine is all blurrp blurrp zoooooooom sorta thing betcha Paul cruises with his shirt open gold necklaces danglin in his overburdened hairy chest airforce sunglasses on as he checks the babes ;) :D

Now Paul its a grand thought mate... but really its a tad small eh? :D

This one Ive got was already here prepared for me aint that nice?... I built one back in Carnarvon like that one but instead I attached one side to the house facia board... so what I did... got a series of steel star pickets and rammed them into the dirt about 4ft leaving roughly the same amount stickin up then swung on the end bending them over to the angle required then ran 4in poly pipe over it... then stuck a ladder against the wall ran up it like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe onto the roof and leaning over like a demented chimp drill in hand hand saw at my side bolts and screws in nail bag I got into it... I had a mate lift the free end up scampering up the ladder lifting it to me mark cut drill bolt lay end of shade house srtip on and screw it down in prep for the next stage... move on do next we did one pipe every 2 metres a total of 10 went up

Next day were up there again running the thick heavy duty green house shade stuff down me and mate on ladders screwing the strips down on top

bloody brilliant shade and an excellent place to sit out of the hot summer sun :cool:

As for the car... well mate... I thought yer were a real blokes bloke you know?... geddaatruckyermug!! :D Just joking its sorta like Brians Vette fetish eh? just gotta feel da power an the wind in yer hair right? sigh... the chicks actually like a fella with a tuff truck mate... TRUE!! I could tell yer stories about the sheilas Ive met since I got this F100 just cause Im drivin an old F100 they hunger fer me!! :D

Shame really cause if I was a younger fitter single fella Id be in like flynn... as it is... aaahhh sigh oh well

Noah
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a fitted cover for my sailboat, and the frame is basically built the same way. Mine attaches to the stanchions, but otherwise works just fine. I did need to add a backbone down the middle as well as some triangular bracing. The key to the whole thing is the fitted cover I can pull very tight over the whole mess. It works great.

BTW, I found that the pipe joints were the biggest weakness in the system. I drilled out a larger size coupler so it would fit over the small coupler, so I had double thickness couplings.

In a couple weeks I will get to spend the weekend putting it all back up again. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was taking it all down.

Wild Dingo
10-17-2005, 11:20 AM
oh I meant to say we did add cross members 4x2s if memory serves between each poly pipe and cause it was fairly high and the wind got particularily bad one night I whacked some posts in the centres of every second one to hold it up... still it worked well

Cheers! ;)

Paul Pless
10-17-2005, 11:32 AM
its just a girls blouse machine is all blurrp blurrp zoooooooom sorta thing betcha Paul cruises with his shirt open gold necklaces danglin in his overburdened hairy chest airforce sunglasses on as he checks the babes
my ex girlfriend hated the car for just that reason, besides I wouldn't let her drive it cause she can't drive a stick.

actually I've been invited into more ladies' homes via the MG. you see it breaks down often and it forces me to walk to the nearest house to beg to use the phone. one meets the nicest womens that way :D

John, its really quite the boreing car to drive, you've got to be going 130 mph + to feel any excitemnet in the car, its just to damn capable, it does sound good though. I'm thinking of trading it for a big block corvette from the 60's.

[ 10-17-2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

John B
10-18-2005, 03:00 AM
I prefer that my wife doesn't drive my car because a couple of years ago she went out in it and came back without it.and the house keys, camera, misc tools,the oars I'd just made for one of the kids dinghies, life in general.I recovered eventually.For some reason she doesn't actually seem to want to drive my car now.

I put a 427 (with cam etc) in an old Pontiac when I was 19 or 20.. Oh the sound, the torque reaction when you blipped it. Sends a shiver it does. Still drive autos left foot brake to this day because of that car. Not that I drive them much. I'll stick with the "stick" as you call it ,the six speed or whatever is flavour of the month/year ,until my knees go . ;)

[ 10-18-2005, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: John B ]

Wild Dingo
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:
[QUOTE]...my ex girlfriend hated the car for just that reason, besides I wouldn't let her drive it cause she can't drive a stick.Why? Didnt she ever have sex ed? was she deprived as a child? I mean any sheila can drive a stick if they try!! :eek: mmm maybe you didnt teach her proper like :D Need lessons? HAHAHA!! tongue.gif

Gawd sorry bout that sorta lost the plot a tad there... okay back to the thread :D

Cheers :cool:

RobW
10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Nice shed, nicer car-

Real props for the Steinbeck reference... "palace flophouse" indeed!