PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer advice

ahp
11-21-2002, 03:19 PM
I am thinking about a pocket cruiser with bilge keels. It is deep enough so that when launching it off the trailer the wheels would need to be totally submerged to have the boat float off the trailer. What can you do to protect the wheel bearings and electric brakes.

brad9798
11-21-2002, 03:29 PM
My two trailers, one for sea-doo and one for 15' skiff have waterproof tail/brake/marker lights ... I believe that is standard for a boat trailer, no???

Wheels have never been a problem over the last five years ... They get just as wet in the rain sitting in the boatyard.

Good luck.

Brad

shadow99
11-21-2002, 03:53 PM
Maintence, maintence, maintence is the best way of making your trailer brakes & wheel bearings last. I grease my wheel bearings twice a year (I mean disassemble the wheel,clean everything, pack the wheel bearings and reassemble), :eek: NOT grab the greasegun and squirt grease into the outer bearing only (typical of Bearing-Buddies). To keep your brakes functioning properly, after a saltwater dunk, I hose'm down with fresh water,done. When servicing the wheel bearings I inspect the brake hardware.

brad9798
11-21-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry ... I thought you typed electric brake LIGHTS ... when you actually typed just electric brakes. Ooops!

I should step back on the bearings too ... my trailers usually just go about 100 feet per year ... once in, once out. So DON'T follow my maintenance schedule!!

;)

ishmael
11-21-2002, 04:54 PM
There are non-electric brakes for trailers that have a master cylinder at the tongue and slaves at the wheels. From what I've read, manufacturers have improved the galvanizing and also the use of freshwater washout ports for these in recent years, but they still must require very regular attention in salt water. I don't know if they are considered superior to electrics. Also, whether they would be suitable for the rig you have in mind re weight etc. would have to be checked with the manufacturer.

Go to: http://www.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/

I bet you'll get some more definitive answers.

Best of luck,

Jack

[ 11-21-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]