PDA

View Full Version : The sale of Maybritt.....?

Maybritt
11-16-2002, 12:00 AM
I'm pondering a big decision. Selling Maybritt. Why - she is too big - at the risk of repeating earlier posts Alan Pape Cuttyhunk 47ft Ketch.

To try and be as objective as possible and whilst she may not be everybody's cup of tea she is a fantastic open water machine utterly unique and is as strong and seaworthy as they come...but she is more than I need. She needs to go to sea..in fact she has been prepared for a round the world trip. She is in excellent condition and about as low maintenace as you can get but.....with my job its beyond me personally and therefore expensive. The yard does everything to make sure she is tip top...and as much as I love her it would be a mistake to be overly sentimental.

I believe I have identified the ideal boat (for me that is) a Sam Morse LG Cutter 28ft. I am going to Korea on a lecture tour Sunday for a week and will ponder this...but I may ask for a recomendation as to where to list as only good homes need apply.

Any guidance, advice, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly welcomed to help me ponder this. I am going to take my time.

cmtacking
11-16-2002, 10:50 AM
The fact that you have entertained the idea to sell should say something. People change and their criteria of use do too, so if the boat doesn't fit anymore, find one that does. That said, selling a boat is almost like parting with family. Here's to hoping you can make a good decision. Riley Smith

Scott Rosen
11-16-2002, 11:19 AM
I think wisdom in wooden boats means that you try to find the smallest boat that fills your needs. If you get to the point where the time and expense are not paying off in pleasure, then you are wise to be thinking about a different boat.

I think 26 to 30 feet is the ideal size range for anything but a big group of people crossing oceans. You should be able to have all of the comforts with a lot less work.

ACB
11-17-2002, 12:39 PM
I fancy she will fetch a better price, and probably have a longer, happier, life, if advertised, and therefore sold, somewhere where wooden boats are plentiful and the climate is temperate. This means Australia, New Zealand, North America and Northwest Europe, of course.