PDA

View Full Version : martin schulz

Otter
12-04-2002, 02:56 AM
I see you are in Flensburg. I'm with the Museum Harbor in Hamburg (Oevelgönne).

We'll be there for the "Rum Regatta" again this year. We missed it last year because we are contractually bound to make an appearance at Hamburg's Harbor Birthday which, unfortunately, was the same time as the Rum Regatta last summer.

If "Valdivia" doesn't tack in front of the finish-line again this year come by for a spot of Rum. ;)

[ 12-04-2002, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Otter ]

martin schulz
12-04-2002, 03:15 AM
Hmm - as far as I know Heiner has some major problems with the VALDIVIA. He wasn't able to earn the money necessary to maintain that Shooner this year. From what I heard he will be working as professional freighter captain this year to consolidate his finances. he even talked about giving the VALDIVIA back to Kuddel. so VALDIVIA might not be there.

We are already planning the RumRegatta. 2003 and esspecially 2004 (the 25th RumRegatta) will be once again a creative, cultural and maritime sailing Highlight and not one of those big commercial Tall Ship Festivals.

Grüße Martin

Wild Dingo
12-04-2002, 04:56 AM
Grüße Martin and Otter

Now in all this plannin and rum regattaing dont go forgettin us lot!! :eek:

Looked like something most here would have had a great joy being involved in but even just the commentary and photos like the last one are great!! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

Otter
12-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I had heard that Valdivia had problems. As far as I know they were having problems in 2001 when we were there. I chatted with an english guy they had crewing on her. That is, before he fell out of the rigging and onto the deck and I had to take him to the hospital.

I saw her in Hamburg last spring/summer. If you ask me.. (and nobody did) she needs some serious "Werftzeit" but I digress. Don't want to discuss others' problems in an open forum.

I'm with "Präsident Freiherr von Maltzahn"

ACB
12-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Just catching the two of you together, may I take this opportunity to say something that British yachtsmen often say to each other - you German amateur seamen look after your wooden boats much better than we do. Congratulations.

martin schulz
12-05-2002, 03:06 AM
Thanks Andrew - that comming from you is a special treat! (I don't know about me and my boat which has a leaking deck I don't have time to fix and an almost encapsulated ceiling (?) due to impermeable white paint I'll have to scrape of, but don't find the time for).

For those looking at this thread and wondering what kind of boat we were talking about, here is the VALDIVIA (again):

http://www.tallship-fan.de/images/segl201k.jpg

Isn't that a nice picture to get us through the winter smile.gif

Otter
12-05-2002, 05:18 AM
Wish I could take credit for that compliment Andrew but I'm not German. I was born in the US but yes, you are correct, they certainly do a terrific job keeping them up. I do try to keep up with them though. ;)