PDA

View Full Version : FLOOR TIMBERS

rich.h
03-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I AM FIXING UP A 1959 BOBBY RICH 28' SEMI-BUILT DOWN BASS BOAT. THE ONLY TWO FLOOR TIMBERS THAT HAD BEEN UNDER THE ENGINE BEDS HAD BROKEN AT BOTH THIN SPOTS DUE TO THE CUT OUTS TO GET THE ENGINE DOWN IN THE DITCH. I AM REPLACING THE TWO AND ADDING THREE MORE ALSO UNDER THE BEDS. BUT I WILL HAVE TO CUT OUT THESE ALSO. I WOULD LOVE TO PLATE BOTH SIDES WITH 1/4" BRONZE AND THEN CUT THEM OUT. BUT THE FIRST QUOTE I RECEIVED WAS WAY UP THERE. ANY THOUGHT?

JimD
03-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Hi Rich. I can see so far the response to your question has been overwelming. How much is 'way up there'? 1/4 inch bronze sounds kinda 'way up there'. I can barely afford a bag of bronze ring nails. Anything else you could use?

Thad
03-05-2002, 05:48 AM
Plating the sides will involve drilling into the pieces from the sides, weakening them further. If you lag or bolt them vertically supporting the section to be stressed by the engine beds you might do just as well. Metal stock is not cheap, but then neither is doing this job every few years.

rich.h
03-05-2002, 08:13 PM
any ideas on where to get plate bronze other then atlas metals?

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
03-06-2002, 06:57 AM
In my experience Atlas IS the cheapest for bronze.

TomRobb
03-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Instead of adding the bronze plates to the floors, why not make these floors bronze only. If the bronze plate is heavy enough, what's the wood doing?