PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas - Exuma

Tom Hoffman
11-12-2005, 01:19 PM
My wife and I are ardent scuba divers, and we would like to go too the Bahamas/Exhuma area and spend a week or so on a sail boat with an owner who is also into scuba diving.

The reason I ask this here is that a few years back I lived in Tacoma Wash. There were several boat owners who lived aboard their boats, and would take parties out for a week or so on a charter basis.

That is the kind of thing I am looking for. Back then, before the internet, I don't know how people found them, unless you just went down to the marina and walked around and read the signs on the sides of the boats.

We don't want to go with a big commercial live aboard, we would like just the two of us and perhaps one or two other couples.

Does any one know of anything like this in the Bahama area. Please feel free to e-mail me direct if you choose.

Thanks.....

uncas
11-12-2005, 01:22 PM
You might want to google "BareBoat Charter " I have never gone this route...but have heard good things...A start anyway...
Of course, you may have to find a couple or two to share...
Just a thought.

George.
11-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I once sailed a boat from Georgetown to Miami, all along the Exuma chain.

Don't miss Staniel Key and "James Bond cave" - an island that is actually hollow, into which you snorkel.

But don't expect the best diving in the world, or even in the Bahamas. A lot of great shallow snorkelling, but the reefs are so-so.

But if you like remote areas, it is a sailing paradise! Well, it was, back in the early '90s...

uncas
11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm reading the responses...and either I am confused or I did not get the request...
I think the intent of the thread is to find a boat to charter...or what have you...not places to go...
I could be wrong..Correct me if I am...but this is the way I understood the initial posting.

kc8pql
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
The back pages of Cruising World are full of charter broker ads. A broker can set you up with a boat that specializes in what you want and is equiped for it.

Tom Hoffman
11-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Thank you all, I will check all the links, I guess what I was looking for was a small operator, who lives aboard his or her boat, and earns a living doing this kind of thing. I know I went to the San Juans in Wash St. on such a boat and enjoyed it immensely.

We could go with Carribean Explorer I out of Exuma on a large live aboard. Have done that, would like a smaller operation that would take us to good spots, with no preset schedule. I have been thinking of the Exumas as I have seen dive reports from divers off the CE I and they see lots of large pelagics. That is what I want to see.

Dove around Biminii a couple of years back and saw lots of big stuff.

Thanks again.......