PDA

View Full Version : You got me wondering

Pelican
11-24-2002, 01:14 PM
After reading the response to the GRP question I can't help but wonder why all the folks that are such true fans of fiberglass are even reading the Wooden Boat Forum. I may not care for 'glass boats but I wouldn't go to the Fiberglass Boat Forum and criticize their methods if that is what they prefer.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Wild Dingo
11-25-2002, 12:30 AM
aye its a weird mob they be... but matey tis rather easily unnerstood aktually... its a secret thing with them folks they actually WANNABE woodenboat nuts but they think theys grp and plakky kingpins all theys mates gots them so theys gots to have one too... all along theys gots a cravin a hankerin for a true boat made of wood... so theys come in here pesterin good woodboat nuts tryin to make sence of theys twisted desires... to be plakky like their mates you know the be better than the joneses sindrome type of thingy or to be true to their hearts and souls and gets a woody! :eek: cause we all knows only a woodenboat nut gets a true woody!.... OH GAWD~!!! :D :D :D {your bad today Shane!! tongue.gif }

Let em be I says we will previal and turn their plakky minds to wood and she'll be jake mate... errrr okay not you Jake but she'll be right! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

Hugh Paterson
11-25-2002, 03:52 AM
Pelican, On a personal note, I read this forum cause I like all types of boats, Cept jetskis and ferro cement, Yup theres a wide range of views expressed of course, expecially with regard to the plastic subjects, but who cares, if you cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen, hey everyone has an opinion. I might play with plastic more than wood, only cause it fills the fridge with beer and food...in that order. Oh and I have wanted to play with boats for a living for many years, may as well do what you enjoy, Your a long time in a box :D even if it includes antifouling someones pride and joy on a wet honking slipway in the middle of December in sunny Scotland. Todays useless saying is therefore "live your dream" to hell with anything else, there is only BOATS.
Shug the contented.

Concordia..41
11-25-2002, 07:09 AM
I'm a fan of fiberglass boats, wood boats, steel boats and anything that floats less jet skies. Every boat, be it power or sail, wood or FRP, has strengths and weaknesses. I don't believe there's a thing on this Earth more beautiful than the lines a classic wood sail boat. But I'm also enough of a realist to acknowledge that there are people that see things other ways.

Dave and I are blessed that we have the ability to indulge ourselves with Sarah. You can like us, like our boat, or stay home. But a young family - especially one with a spouse who's maybe not really into the sailing/boating thing may well be better off with the relative comforts provided by a modern production boat with dual heads, showers, freezer/refrigerator, etc. If it gets some guy out sailing, so be it.

Like Hugh the majority of my customer base involves FRP/GRP, but I like to think I'm just plain old tolerant to begin with.

mmd
11-25-2002, 07:41 AM
It's rather simple for me: I design boats, about 90% of new boats under 60 feet long are FRP, I can't afford to ignore 90% of my potential market. Besides, there are some very interesting and enjoyable aspects involved in designing for 'glass. The only real grief I have with the stuff is when I work with it - I don't like to itch.