PDA

View Full Version : A White Hurricane

WindHawk
10-09-2004, 05:57 PM
The Amazonians came across with a new copy of the book "White Hurricane" by David G. Brown today, which retells the story of the November 1913 storm that blew through all five of the Great Lakes. Already, I'm hooked on the it, and I'm only about 20 pages into it.

One thing that surprises me so far, is that he states that there have been 6,000 to 10,000 shipwrecks on the Lakes. I've done a bit of research on 19th century shipping on the Lakes, and I've never heard the figure of 10,000 wrecks. About 6,000+ is the figure that is generally given. Of course, that is simply an astounding number of wrecks.

In fact, no one really knows how many ships were lost, nor how many lives, perhaps as many as 30,000. There have been 20 or 30 "modern" steel hulled freighters that have simply disappeared in these storms, but with the recent advances in technology, they are slowly being found. It is also a fact, that none of the 20,000 or so wooden schooners & barges, and very few of the wooden steamers survived until the 20th century on the Lakes. None of the steamers survive today. I would love to just see an original one of each.

Anyway, it looks to be a good read, and it's available in paperback.

TimH
10-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Google search Alvin Clark.