X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor
    Senior Member #4610
    • Feb 2002

Bandsaw (AGAIN)

Ok here I go. I'm at the research stage for a bandsaw. I have the strongback and moulds for an 18 foot redbird canoe set up and am waiting for warmer weather to start the planking and glassing. I am also starting construction on a Catspaw. I have the lofting table set up and am .......waiting for warmer weather!!! to paint the table and loft the boat. I have yet to build my first boat but am so taken by the projects which were meant to be sequential both in order of construction as well as levels of difficulty that I jumped into both as a means of flip flopping back and forth. As I get stuck on one and need time to ponder I can work on the other. If winter sets in and I can't glass the canoe, I can always plank the Catspaw. I am, in the mean time looking into a bandsaw to saw up my WR cedar into planks as well as all the other as well things I will need it for in my futur as an amateur boatbuilder. I am building these boats as practice for a large vessel ( retirement plan) a Peterson Coaster. I've been looking at a 14" Delta and my spidy senses are telling me that 14" won't be big enough to do a large schooner. I also read in other posts that it is advisable to get what you can and upgrade. I also read to get what you will need and skip the upgrading part. Who is right? should I up to an 18" or 22" or should A)I take the 14" (at $590 odd Canadian) and make due? B)Take the 14" and upgrade or C)Skip the 14 and get a 16, 18, 22" right from the get go? If C what size should I foresee myself needing to do a large schooner?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-
  • dmede
    Member #6948
    • Jun 2003

How much room do you have and what's your budget? The best advice for certain tools like this is get the biggest you can afford/ accomodate.

Be aware that while some 14" saws can be fitted with a riser block to increase resaw height to 12" most of the next few larger sized bandsaws cannot be refitted in this way, so you'll be stuck with whatever resaw height you buy.

Considering you have never built before, I'd be wary of purchasing specifically for use on a large future project you may never get to.

I just purchased a bandsaw myself and found the Taunton publication "The Bandsaw Book" to be helpful in evaluating what I needed to look for in a new saw.

dave

Comment

• Sailor
      Senior Member #4610
      • Feb 2002

I guess the Dollars issue is always an issue but I can save up a bit and get whatever I need in not too long a time. As for space it's a none issue. I'm lucky in that I have a 40 by 30 foot barn and the entire 2nd deck is my shop. power went in over christmas and I've been adding to it ever since. got a table saw, 32 foot workbench of 1 inch think MDF, an assortment of power hand tools and hand tools as well as the 16x4 foot lofting table and 18 foot redbird moulds set up all in that one space. I'm more concerned with the next tools. Bandsaw and thickness planner. I've alreay purchased the materials to build a router table and that's the project for this weekend. I think the bandsaw is the next priority and I'm just looking for some info on what I should be looking at. I know the 14 inch will do me for the next 2 or 3 years till I start on Quintessence (Peterson Coaster) but after that...... I also know not to purchase solely for "the big one" I may never get to. Is there a disadvantage to having one big enough for the big one while doing the small ones?
      If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
      -Henry David Thoreau-

Comment

• Dave Fleming
        Old Geezer #577
        • Sep 1999

Frankly I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

Think 14 inch bandsoar to begin with.
        No matter what you finally wind up building there is ALWAYS a use for a 14 inch machine.
        Good old one with a solid boxed core frame, no riser block, say PM or General Of Canada, Davis and Wells, Walker Turner.

When you are ready to build a Coaster then this one would fit the bill quite nicely.

Northfield 20 inch bandsoar

Believe me, after helping build 2 Coasters you will need that size of a machine for that job.

Ya get my drift?
        "Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish"
        Michelangelo

Comment

• Sailor
          Senior Member #4610
          • Feb 2002

Thnks for the info dave. I guess I'm good to go on the 14 inch. How's the Delta I was thinking of? Is that a coaster abuilding in the photo? Are you in the photo? Which coaster(s) did you help build? Did you get to sail them? looking at Don Quixote for the futur. Kinda glad you said all that. I was looking for a reason not to have to cough up too much $ for a machine just yet. The need for a 14 inch later is plenty good reason for me. Thanks again
          -Henry David Thoreau-

Comment

• Dave Fleming
            Old Geezer #577
            • Sep 1999

Photo taken in 1977 at Cliff Nederers shop in Inverness, CA..
            Lads in front on keel timber are our twins.
            Cliff is in his Pete Culler period that explains the derby hat. (see photo in Skiffs and Schooners by Culler )

Eldest son is setting the wedges in the saw kerf and I am at the tail of the timber.

Coaster II
            "Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish"
            Michelangelo

Comment

• Canoeyawl
              • Jun 2003

Two bandsaws are a good thing…
              When you build the schooner you can put the small one in the hull, save a lot of walking.
              In my shop I have the big Powermatic downstairs (2500lbs) and the 14” saw upstairs.
              edit to add -Great photo Dave!

[ 03-07-2006, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Canoeyawl ]

Comment

• Sailor
                Senior Member #4610
                • Feb 2002

Canoeyawl, that is such an obvious suggestion that I dont' think I would have thought of it. Thanks. I did however think of puting some form of gangway from my 2nd floor shop to the sheerline..........Ideas all over the place, we'll see which ones are good and which are.....not so good. THNX
                -Henry David Thoreau-

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
                  • Dec 1999

My suggestion is not to read any more suggestions. You have very good advise. Beyond this point, the forum often gets confusing anyway.
                  Tom L

Comment

• Uncle Grumpy
                    Extra Salty
                    • Aug 2003

Now THAT'S good advice!
                    HF

Comment

• dmede
                      Member #6948
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Dave Fleming:
                      ...and I am at the tail of the timber.
                      You sure? Looks a bit like Rob Reiner to me

Comment

• John Meachen
                        • Jan 2004

If you buy a saw that suits your present needs and budget you can always sell it if the opportunity to buy sometning more suitable comes along.Good quality ,well maintained machines are not a bad investment.

Comment

• Mrleft8
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2000

Never sell your old bandsaw unless you need to pay for an operation. I sold my old 14" Delta when I got the 20".... Boy do I miss being able to move a saw around to cut stuff that's too long for my 20,000,000,000 ton to cut in it's semi permanant position. I'm gonna get me a lil' 14' saw again just so I can do stuff easier and faster.

Comment

• Mrleft8
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2000

Originally posted by dmede:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave Fleming:
                            ...and I am at the tail of the timber.
                            You sure? Looks a bit like Rob Reiner to me

</font>[/QUOTE]Fleming..... Reiner..... It's all the same.....

Comment

• pcford
                              boatwright/film/video
                              • Jul 2002

Lads in front on keel timber are our twins.

Eldest son is setting the wedges in the saw kerf and I am at the tail of the timber.

Good looking little guys. Are you sure they are related to that bearded bald-headed guy?

Comment

Working...