PDA

View Full Version : On the slim chance,,,,,,,,

Ian G Wright
03-10-2003, 06:11 PM
,,,,,,, that anyone on this forum other than us British might visit the Netherlands by boat I have to advise you NOT to take firearms with you without a current DUTCH firearms permit.
Even my Very flare pistol is a no-no though it has been fine for years.
Conviction carries a mandatory jail sentance.

IanW.

Leon Steyns
03-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Ian,

This is no joke and should not be taken lightly! However, there are some discrepancies... as ever :confused:

I checked with both police and customs (being curious myself), and here's the deal (applies to all foreign visitors by boat).
Based on article 14 of the Weapons and Ammunitions Act (in Dutch: Wet Wapens en Munitie), any posession of ammunition, firearms or items resembling firearms is prohibited, unless you carry an official permit (consent).

An exeption of this is stated in the Regulations Weapons and Ammunition (in Dutch: Regelement Wapens en Munitie), under article 34, where this exeption applies to weapons and ammunition belonging to the equipment of a foreign vessel and/or personal possesions of the captain and crew and only if the following two requirements are met: 1. weapons and ammunition remaining on board and sealed by customs, or 2. weapons and ammunition remaining onboard necessary for the protection of its crew, cargo and/or the preservation of discipline onboard.

In a telephone conversation with customs, it was advised to have local customs seal any weapons and/or ammunition in order to prevent problems. This included safety devices like flare guns as long as they resemble 'real' firearms - like your Very signal pistol.
Local police stated that there is generally no strict enforcement regarding this issue, as long as there is "no indication of any breach of public safety". However, this is subject to local interpretation. Be warned... :D :D

Greets, Leon Steyns.

Ian G Wright
03-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Leon Steyns:
Ian,

This is no joke and should not be taken lightly! However, there are some discrepancies... as ever :confused: ,,,,,,,,,,,,
However, this is subject to local interpretation. Be warned...

.Thanks Leon,
I certainly wasn't taking it lightly,,,,,, The warning came from high up in the Cruising Association so I though I'd pass it on.
I've been visiting the Netherlands by boat for a number of years and last spoke to a Customs man in 1990, at which time he expressed no interest at all in my flare pistol, in fact when I tried to declare it he waved my certificate away with a "No Problem".
I'll keep out of trouble this year,,,,,, again.

IanW smile.gif

Leon Steyns
03-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Well, politicians need to keep themselves busy, don't they... :D tongue.gif :mad: :rolleyes:

They changed the law! What else... The one I cited from came into effect in 1997, explaining why your customs officer wasn't interested in your flare gun back then.

I do think the line about maintaining discipline on board is kind of funny, though. Why did you say that M61 is mounted on your skiff for...?! :D :D :D

Greets, Leon Steyns.