PDA

View Full Version : I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Pernicious Atavist
09-14-2004, 11:00 PM
hi all! well, the power is fianlly back on in my neighborhood after hurricane frances did its thing. i lost electricity the morniong before the thing hit, so i guess i've been out for about 12 days now.....
so, what happened?

skuthorp
09-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Welcome Home! If you don't know what happened, then who does? :D

imported_Steven Bauer
09-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, what have you been doing all this time with no power? We want details! And watch out for that Jeanne!

Steven

Ross M
09-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Very happy you are safe and power is restored!

Ross

[ 09-14-2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Ross M ]

Pernicious Atavist
09-14-2004, 11:41 PM
it's funny, sometimes the closer you are to an event, the less you know. once you lose contact, as in this case, my losing electricity, you are cuttoff from the outside world.
last night, about 10 p.m., it was 85 degrees and about 80 percent or more humidity. bloody miserable. a friend who evacuated from cape canaveral to my house for the storm called and asked me to stay with her since she had power i did not. i can't tell you how nice it was to sleep in air conditioning!
aside from that, no real damage at my place, aside from a palm i didn't want leaning into a grapefruit ii did; now both have exposed roots and i can't get the palm off the fruit tree, so both are coming down soon.
anybody ever use grapefruit wood in a boat?

huisjen
09-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Welcome Back!

Dan

Norske3
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
You spelta B-------------------K wrong...it only has 11 A's.

imported_Daniel
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Glad to hear you made it ok, too bad about the trees.

Pernicious Atavist
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
thanks. the trees are nothing. tommorow i take tha boat out for the first time since the hurricane charlie. that's what--6 weeks now? anyway, there are boats parked on the dry all over the place here. though i'm sure many were moored properly, the river bottoms (indian and banana rivers) are mud. i'm sure anchors, mooring, etc. just gave way due to what i estimate to be 30+ hours of hurricane winds. yeah, 30 hours! spoke to a friend who's friend lost his boat when the pilings of his dock pulled free!

one boat i saw really tells the story. the state has built break waters along the causeways here to keep them from washing away. they used cochina rock--think coral--piled alongside the causeway about 10 feet off shore. well, this 35-40 foot cabin cruiser was washed over the breakwater and on the side of the causeway, and holed like the minnow. really sad. last i saw, it was being hoisted by a floating crane normally used for the ongoing bridge repairs here.

a numer of others are down in the mud, up on shore, rolled over or just plain dead, dead, dead....

i'll take my camera to get some pics.

aside from that....i'm okay with only minor tree damage and loss of a few hundred bucks in food. but the fridge and freezer got a good cleaning!

Keith G.
09-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Pernicious Atavist:

anybody ever use grapefruit wood in a boat?Sure, you just need to sprinkle sugar on the deck so your bare feet don't pucker :D

Pernicious Atavist
09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
:rolleyes: