PDA

View Full Version : Oops - you have to give diesels fuel?

formerlyknownasprince
10-29-2002, 07:10 AM
Ran my generator out of fuel! And the priming lever is broken off the fuel pump.

Actually, I didn't run it out of fuel, I knocked the fuel line out of the 60 litre drum that I'm using until I get the new fuel tanks in.

I've started the search for a new fuel pump (for a Lister STW2) but am wondering if it is possible to prime it with a squeeze bottle or other pressurised arrangement.

Any ideas?

Ian

rodcross
10-29-2002, 09:17 AM
My new Vetus diesel has an electric fuel pump that runs whenever the ignition is on. If I had not replaced the old Perkins, I was going to split the fuel line and install an electric fuel pump. In addition, I specified a fuel filter that has a pump incorporated in the body of the filter. I don't know if the filter pump does the job as you need only turn on the ignition and wait a minute or two while the electric pump primes the fuel system. (What a pleasure!)

If I were in your situation, I might try the fuel filter approach,first. If it works, then you can go looking for a replacement for the pedal at your leisure.

TomRobb
10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Your diesel has an ignition switch?