PDA

View Full Version : Winter cover ups

LisaS
11-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Okay, I need some guidance here. Winter is right around the corner and I need to cover up my three kayaks and my Snipe. Am I going to cause severe long term damage if I cluster them together and put a large tarp over all of them? I am assuming it would be preferable to build a framework that would allow air to circulate freely on all sides, but would just a tarp be acceptable for one New England winter?

Lisa

Art Read
11-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'd think you'll want at least a basic framework/rack of some sort just to keep the tarp off the kayaks themselves. Ventilation is just as important as keeping the elements out.

NormMessinger
11-03-2002, 01:42 PM
That's what I was thinking Art but CT may be different from WA. Son, Lynn, had our canoe in Olympia for a while. It mildewed under a tarp.

--Norm

imported_Steven Bauer
11-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Also, regular blue tarps degrade quickly from ultraviolet light. What I try to do is first put a sheet of heavy poly over the framework and then the tarp. The tarp protects the poly which is what actually keeps the water out.
Does anyone remember the thread in the old forum where someone set up a blue tarp to shade themselves from the sun? Turned out they got sunburned real bad right through the tarp!
Another important point is to allow for some sort of ventilation. Or maybe Joe has room in his barn for the winter. :D

Steven

brian.cunningham
11-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Guess who just disassembled a tent and wrapped up they kayak part his trimaran in blue tarp :rolleyes: