PDA

View Full Version : Adoption papers signed.

Rex Fearnehough
08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
In view of an imminent move to Malta, I wonder if any of the forumites have any info of use to me.
Has anyone ever done the trip through the French waterways, from the channel to the Med?
I am vaguely thinking of taking my boat, but, will have to consider cost, time etc.
Any help whatsoever will be appreciated.
:D :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Rex, I have not done this myself but the Fount of All Knowledge on this, as you certainly know is the Cruising Association, who not only publish a book on the subject but have a huge library on it.

I have found the CA notes on rivers and canals in Belgium and Holland to be absolutely accurate and easy to follow, so their French stuff should be the same, if that's a further recommendation.

Hwyl
08-22-2004, 07:21 PM
I've done the Canal de Midi Bordeaux to Sete, in a Westerly Centaur. It was a long long time ago. Any information I have is probably useless

Rex Fearnehough
08-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Thanks a lot folks. I didn't even think of the Cruising Association.
It seemed a shame to sell my boat when Malta would be a perfect place to retire it. Must change the colour from black to white to protect the timber though.

Mike Field
08-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Okay Rex, now tell us what's happening, eh?

Rex Fearnehough
08-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Ok, I offered myself up for adoption because, I have decided, that while I love my island life, I would prefer it with palm trees.
So, you all missed out of having a Fearnehough in your garden. Jayne, who has very good sense decided that it may be good for me to join them in New Zealand. They then decided that they wished to return to Malta and the offer still held, so, I will now be off to Malta to join them.
I thought that taking my boat would be a good idea, even for the Med. Shipping it would be too costly. I then realised that I could sail it to the south of England, across the channel and down the European waterways to the Med. I would then turn left and head for Malta. Of course this may be just a pipe dream. Wouldn't it be good though?

Hwyl
08-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Rex, I don't know what kind of boat you have. When we went through the Canal du Midi, lo those many years ago, we used "Through the French Canals" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713661356/qid=1093390101/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-3797310-5780446. I see it's been updated, so it should be better, when we used it, we suspected the author had never seen the Canal Du Midi. When you go to that Amazon page, there are a number of other books on that subject.

I recently read "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-3797310-5780446, which is a good book well worth reading and gives some feel as to how the canals work, including a great description of "Automatic Locks", his boat was a Mirror Dinghy and would not trip the lock mechanism. In my day, the locks were operated by twisting a rod hanging from a wire.(took us about six tries to figure that out, while the nice French people stood on the banks shouting whatever "twist" is in French (at least that's what I thought they were shouting).

dmede
08-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Not relevant to your specific issue, but I did the canal du nevernais (on one of those rented canal barges). Most fun I have ever had, and a great way to see france.

Rex Fearnehough
08-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the help pals. I have ordered the books.
I am sure that my wanderlust will overcome my common sense.

Hwyl
09-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Rex, are you planning to go before Winter sets in, or is this a "next year" thing.

Ex-Oceangoddess
09-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Rex, I took the trip across the Channel from Lymbington, down the Seine, and through I can't remember what waterways to the Mediterranean (sp), with cousins, sisters, brother and friends back in 1966. It was without a doubt the best trip of my entire life. France is wonderful. The French are wonderful. The countryside is divine and the food is indescribable. If you have a chance to do this - grab it and go. And please post pics....

Lucky Luke
09-05-2004, 01:59 AM
I went (in the winter!) from paris to Marseille by: going up the Seine river, then the Marne, then the Canal lateral de la Marne, the canal de la Marne a la Saone (which includes a 5km long ....tunnel), then down the Saone river (flooded!), and finally the Rhone (flooded too: fast!!!).
I suffered a lot of incidents and problems, having 1' more draft that what the canal normally allows, but nothing serious. Could have been, though.
Maps (not "charts") are very reliable, every bridge is a of a different design and indicated on the map (very good "milestones"!), the lock-keepers charming...but the landscape a little disappointing: boring riversides higher than your eylevel, very often. Some gorgeous sections though.
I should better have gone through the Canal du Centre, which has less traffic (that was about 15 years ago...so?).
You better keep your black paint until you reach the Med: tyres make the best fenders, but they are bit messy! you can protect your hullsides against them with a tarpaulin too.
Nice stay in Malta. That's a GREAT place...and it's Europe, now smile.gif