PDA

View Full Version : sunk ouboard

Cut-Throat Jake
11-03-2002, 06:01 PM
G'day, what would any of you recomend I did with my 25hp 2 stroke after we sank our dinghy...?
I unscrewed the spark plugs, and sea water came flowing out the hole, and theres no spark in the plugs when I pull the cord :rolleyes:

Seeya, Vaughan

capt jake
11-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, did that many years ago. We simply made sure to have good gas in her, pulled teh plu and cranked it over MANY itmes prior to starting (to flush and re-lube teh cylinder).
No spark? Probably needs to be dried out a wee bit. They make electrical contact dryer, available at the automotive stores, in aerosol.

Good luck, beyond this, for me it would be trial and error. smile.gif

NormMessinger
11-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Dunk it in fresh water several times. Gotta get the salt out. Dry and start.

Debi
11-03-2002, 06:42 PM
flushing with water is a must for sure, but I would also recommend you check your bottom unit for water in it... a complete fluid replacement is in order. dry all of the electrical parts thoroughly. washing inside the motor with gas and oil mix is a good idea... good luck.. its much easier in fresh water

Cut-Throat Jake
11-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I washed it down with the hose yesterday, but didn't think of dunking it, again, in fresh water! I then flushed it with gas and oil through the carby and cylinders, and have now put it in a warm room to dry out. Will buy some spray soon.

I took my Dad out with a friend on the weekend in my 13 ft dinghy ,and we were 2-3 miles from shore doing 25mph when we struck something in the water and the plywood was blown in and we sank in about 3 seconds! fortunately my forward bulkhead remained watertight and we were able to get the attention of a nearby boat that rescued us and towed my boat home-upside down with the outboard still attached!
smile.gif

capt jake
11-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Thank goodness you are all OK! Scary thought about that.
The Outboard is a secondary thought compared to you lives! smile.gif (as already pointed out).

Memphis Mike
11-04-2002, 03:31 PM
From Understanding The Outboard Motor
by Eugene Stagner:

When an outboard is submerged in salt water
the situation is critical. Due to the
corrosive effect of the salt water, no attempt
should be made to start the motor. The
powerhead will have to be completely disassembled.
Salt water will attack the finished surfaces
of the crankshaft, rods, cylinder walls, pistons
and rings and all the other parts that are
inside or outside the powerhead. If by chance
you can make a quick recovery, and you can even get it started, the salt will remain to do
damage. adding 50/1 oil,even mixed with alcohol,
still will not provide protection against the
remaining salt. There is only one safe solution
and that is to disassemble the powerhead and
totally and thoroughly clean all parts. Let us
assume that an outboard went overboard and
a marine dealer is not convenient for the
disassembly work right after recovery. What do you do? Remove the cover and rinse the the outboard
totally with freshwater. If you are able to remove
the powerhead from the adaptor and exhaust
housing, do so. Once removed, submerge it in a
tub of freshwater. This is done so air cannot
get to those finished surfaces and therefore
prevent oxidation. If you cannot take the power-
head off, do the next best thing and stand it
upside down in a tub of freshwater. Then get it
to a dealer where it can be submerged until
worked on."

Hope this helps.

Cut-Throat Jake
11-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Ah! I didn't hear that. :rolleyes:

Really, I don't think the outboards worth it, as it was on its way out a long time ago.
Thanks anyhow!