PDA

View Full Version : First look (pics of our boat)

Matt Middleton
12-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi all,
Until now, I've never really had any pictures of Exodos to show. Now I've got some, and thought I'd share.

Here's a bad before shot...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pbcb92dbfd8566b03a394945dd1a82724/fcfa0e11.jpg

and here's an in-progress shot, the day the mast was raised (last Tuesday).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p86bc41c8e0db70e0a6d6a4b9f0926fd8/fcfa0e13.jpg

We still have a ways to go, as you can see, but we're at least able to live aboard now. We still have to repaint the deck and cabin, repaint and mount the bowsprit, install a stove, install the head, sort out and organize our stuff, and countless other small fixes and improvements. But that will all get done (or not) in time, as we have some sailing to catch up on!

When I think that all we've done to it is repaint the exterior, repaint some interior trim, rewire a bit, and relaunch, I wonder how in the world it took us six months of afternoons and weekends to do our two month (as planned) job.

But then I'm reminded of all the small things, all stories in and of themselves, that went into making the project what it was. (I'm sure you know how it goes... ;) )

Also, thanks again for the advice and questions answered here. :D

Matt Middleton

Scott Rosen
12-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Great. Thanks for the pics.

AngWood
12-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Definitely a better color scheme!

Could you remind us again of the particulars--size, designer, etc.?

Matt Middleton
12-03-2002, 12:11 PM
It's 32' on deck, plus more if you add bowsprit and boomkin, and beam is 9'. It displaces 10-12000 lbs, and I think 2500 or so of it is internal ballast.

The design is by a guy (Chris Morejohn, I think) who designed flats type boats for a local company, with intent to live aboard. The hull has a flat bottom, so it can sit upright, dried out on an island beach. (I have some non-digital photos of it in that condition.) I supposed the hull type would be sharpie.

It has a ketch rig, with 2 headsails. The main and mizzen have sprit-booms- would you call that a leg'o'mutton sail?? I don't know. It originally had an outboard in a well, but the motor has since been moved to the transom. Not so good when viewed in profile, but probably tons better from the cockpit.

martin schulz
12-03-2002, 12:23 PM
The design is by a guy (Chris Morejohn, I think) who designed flats type boats for a local company, with intent to live aboard. The hull has a flat bottom, so it can sit upright, dried out on an island beach.[/QB]That is exactely what I was wondering about when I saw that first picture. Those boats, even the 2-mast boat were just too close to the shallow shore. A flat bottom makes sense now. How does the boat sail with that bottom. do you need to have a certain angle of heeling not to give too much leeway?

Nice boat by the way.

Matt Middleton
12-03-2002, 12:28 PM
To be perfectly honest, I've never sailed the boat. It is equipped with a centerboard that increases the 1'8" draft to about 6', so I don't imagine that it has to be heeled.
It probably doesn't heel very much anyhow, with the hard chine and flat bottom.

But, truth be told, how well it sails will only be known after spending some time sailing, hopefully to begin next week!

imported_Conrad
12-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Neat boat, reminds me of our Meadowlark. I think you'll find it sails very well, quite fast on a reach, not much heel will help make it comfortable. Ketch rigs are great because they'll balance very well on most points of sail, leaving an easy helm and relaxed sailing. But don't try to beat a meter boat to windward! ;)

John Bell
12-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Was your boat formerly named "Hogfish"?

The first picture looks like it came from Dave and Mindy Bolduc's (sp?) site.

gunnar I am
12-03-2002, 01:41 PM
I don't mean to be rude, your boat is beautiful, but could you post more pictures of that sand and water.We need an infusion of warmth up here in the northeast.That just looks fantastic!

Matt Middleton
12-03-2002, 03:07 PM
John - yup, I ripped off their photo. The boat was named Hogfish, since it's the first and only one to the "Hogfish 32" design, or whatever it's called. I'm working on getting some more background info.

Gunnar - at one point, this boat was on the cover of another sailing magazine (name escapes me), photo taken from atop a hill overlooking a small harbor surrounded by lush growth, with then Hogfish anchored right in the middle. The blues and greens, separated by clean white beach was incredible.

I don't have a photo, but thought maybe you could use your imagination a bit to help things out.

[ 12-03-2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Matt Middleton ]

imported_Steven Bauer
12-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Ah Gunnar, another covergirl! I enjoyed seeing your boat on the cover of 'Messing About In Boats'.
We've had quite a bit of Forumite action lately in 'Messin'. I've enjoyed seeing John Welsford's designs there recently.
I also see you're selling off some fancy canoes - making room for a new project?
Steven

Oh, yeah, nice boat Matt. :D

brian.cunningham
12-04-2002, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the inspiration

I'm a live-a-board wanta be smile.gif

So how do you find working on the boat while living on her?

Wild Dingo
12-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Flamin brilliant Matt!! She looks like she will fit the bill perfectly :cool:

Im always interested in the different ketch and schooner designs... so feed me!!... availability of plan? website? whatever you gots... feed me!! :D

Great you havent had to do too much to get onboard mate... real bobby dazzler... one last thing mate

ENJOY! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

Matt Middleton
12-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the responses everybody. smile.gif

Brian- working on the boat isn't too bad, if you're talking about small projects. All my tools are right there, and I can do a little at a time since the boat is always available to work on.
My wife doesn't appreciate me leaving tools out, though, so it all must get cleaned up promptly after the project.
As far as big projects- I don't think I'd want to live in a construction zone, so all the big stuff was done while hauled out. The biggest thing we'll do in the water is probably to sand and paint the deck and cabin. I don't know yet how hard installing the propane stove will be.

Dingo- I don't have much info online, but I will be getting an Imagestation album together. I'm not sure that much in the way of plans is available - I suspect they existed as much in the designer/builder's mind as on paper. I'll be putting more pics up, and I'll post a link later.

:D Matt Middleton

Norske3
12-04-2002, 08:21 AM
AH..great combo...a sailboat and Florida...you sail fifty-two week-ends a year ...Right? smile.gif ...in New England we are lucky if we get twelve week-ends a year! :(
..and miles and miles of open..free to all beaches..in New England you need a "permit" :D to land most everywhere..so much is privately owned.."KEEP OFF...PRIVATE PROPERTY"..islands too...

[ 12-04-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]

Russ
12-06-2002, 07:28 AM
She looks right nice there Matt. I'm gonna have to go by and sneak a peak at her this weekend. I'm assuming that your at the marina next to Mather's bridge (name escapes me at the moment).

Matt Middleton
12-06-2002, 09:34 AM
Russ - yup, Telemar Bay.

Unfortunately, though, I probably won't be around when you drop by, so please disregard the clutter! Maybe we can get together in person one day soon, as well- I'd like to see your boat, too. smile.gif

Matt Middleton

Bruce Taylor
12-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Great work, Matt. Good looking boat!