View Full Version : Race 4 Redux

John Bell
02-21-2003, 08:21 AM
We're about 12 hours from the scheduled start.

Reports are the condtions look marginal for racing today:

Forecast for 13:00 Thursday: General Synopsis High-pressure (1024 mb) positioned central Tasman Sea will move east to lie over New Zealand by Sunday. Low-pressure (1004 mb) overhead the Chatham Islands will clear to the east.

Winds: SSW 7 11 knots.

Fine weather with cloud slowly building throughout the day. Air temperatures 22 - 24C.

Seas slight to moderate.

Outlook for Sunday: Light winds with a NE sea breeze.

Tune in here later if you want to watch with me.

John Bell
02-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Just saw this on the official AC website:

Due to light and variable winds on the inner Hauraki Gulf, Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett has issued a shoreside postponement to Race 4. The teams remain in their compounds hoping the wind will build to acceptable levels. Which means we'll be watching another repeat tonight. How about one of the better races from the LVC?

John Bell
02-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Racing definitely postponed until tomorrow.

Wild Wassa
02-21-2003, 07:51 PM

John Bell
02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Big loads on the rig, stiff hull, it all resonates like a drum.

imported_Steven Bauer
02-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Another weather delay :(
Are they going to go at all today?
Any inside info John?


John Bell
02-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what happened today. We were out at a dinner party with some friends. I was hoping to see some reports here.

John B
02-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Another postponment yesterday with light shifting wind.
70 degree shifts in direction. Much gamesmanship and banter. Plenty of criticism and some finger pointing.
Tom Whidden.(SP?) ( anyone heard of him LOL) smiling his way through some interviews, openly admiring the mind games being played.
Another race today but the forecast is still not good. One giant bifurcated high pressure system covering the country. Might be wind tommorrow but might be too much too.

John B
02-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Racing cancelled today too. No wind.
On the positive side There were some great interviews on TV yesterday ( here in NZ anyway).
One french Gentleman who has written a book on the cup showed drawings of John Aldens J boat ( I kid you not) and Tore Holms J boat.
also about 5 minutes of the Classic regatta stuff with a couple of cameos by Waione sliding around or stalled in the background......

John B
02-23-2003, 03:48 PM
whoops. just came through. racing cancelled for today too.

Doug Wood
02-23-2003, 03:52 PM
Wish they would have raced Saturday night - plenty of wind to get race #4 off (8-10 knots) but delay after delay... Think it might be time to consider an international crew to man race committee's going forward!

Rich VanValkenburg
02-23-2003, 05:06 PM
JohnB, are you usually out there in the spectator fleet? I've been watching the coverage looking for Waione but no luck so far. Do you have a particular spot you like to watch from?


Wild Wassa
02-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Racing has been cancelled today for the 4th race day in a row. Racing was cancelled early this morning after consultation with both teams.

The wind is negligible and not expected to increase much over the day.

John B
02-23-2003, 06:17 PM
And a high probability of GALES over the next 4 days.

Rich, we watch from the couch mate. Better coverage and ( I must be getting old) going out with that spectator fleet really is close to survival conditions. Not good for a low freeboard boat at all. An 8 metre launch got swamped and sunk last week. Another launch got run down by a big , big Tri.Doesn't surprise me in the least. As I said. we got a wee cameo on our local TV as a stocking filler yesterday.

I tell you which boat is always out there.... Arcturus, the Alden 390. she's chartering and I often notice her in the coverage. Another oldy... Ethel 1894 approx black ketch is there quite a bit. Moonbeam , the big Fife ,is out a lot too.

[ 02-23-2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

John Bell
02-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Too little, now too much...

Racing cancelled today due to high winds. Current reports have it blowing 24-28 knots with gusts over 40.

Maybe the teams should have a couple of Whitbread 60's on charter so we could at least watch some scrimmages on days like today. It'd be tough on the race committee, tho...

Next race scheduled for Thursday NZ time, Wednesday for the rest of us in the western hemisphere.


John B
02-24-2003, 05:47 PM
I'd be surprised if that happens.It's looking a bit miserable.

( consults weather chart) mmm perhaps it will.the wind looks like it will drop, it could well be raining and big swells. Now that would be fun to watch!

[ 02-24-2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Wild Wassa
02-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Officially cancelled for the 5th race day in a row.

Yesterday I read that the Committee had officially cancelled the race, ... but I read this morning, that Alinghi sailed out to the course to prove a point.


ps, Noon NZDT, 30kts and peaking to 36kts at the recording station on Tiritiri Matangi Island North of the Course.

[ 02-24-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

John B
02-24-2003, 06:27 PM
And pretty well anything out of the east will set up some pretty nasty conditions. 25 gusting 40 by this evening for the harbours but up to 60knots forecast for the Hauraki gulf by this evening. whatever the wind does over the next few days, the swells will hang on for a couple more days ,easy.

John Bell
02-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Although there is a race scheduled for today, the forecast doesn't look too promising. I sure would like to see a race some day soon!

Leon Steyns
02-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Again, some twelve hours before we should finally see some action... ...I hope. :eek: :rolleyes: :D tongue.gif

If only I could watch it live... :( ...even on TV. Hoping some of you guys will cover the match. I'll be looking out for some comments. TIA for any news. :D smile.gif

Greets, Leon Steyns.

[Edited]: Oh, before I forget: Go Alinghi! :D

[ 02-26-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Leon Steyns ]

John Bell
02-26-2003, 09:54 AM

If and when it happens, I'll post updates as long as I'm able. I don't think it'll be tonight, though.

Ken Hall
02-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Maybe they should try using sailboats ( :D , duck, runnnn!!!!)

John Bell
02-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Maybe they should race these boats?


[ 02-26-2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: John Bell ]

Wild Wassa
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Cancelled again already. It appears windy at times over there.

I watched the Rolex Farr 40 World Championship of Yachting on tv (BBC World) this morning to give me my daily fix. They made the comment that Alinghi's crew was missed from the event, ... They are still busy.

One of the comments was, "it's exhilerating racing fast", I think that it was Cayard who made the comment. Some dinghies are faster and then there are racing skiffs, ... also lets not forget the cats. Some people think that thay race fast, :rolleyes: .


[ 02-26-2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Leon Steyns
02-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks John, sorry to hear it's off again.

I'm not surprised if Paul Cayard would be in a bit of an anti-AC mood. Mr. Lawrence kicked him out of the Oracle BMW Racing team, but he didn't have the luck Chris Dickson had (well... err... luck... :rolleyes: smile.gif ) Too bad, I really liked the Farr-designed Oracle boat, particularly when Peter Holmberg took the wheel. But that's all gone, better luck next time... :D :D

A wee piccie for ol' times sake...
So... ...let's hope Friday will get something going. :confused:
Go Alinghi!

Greets, Leon Steyns.

John B
02-26-2003, 09:29 PM
There MIGHT be some racing tommorrow. Looks more like Saturday to me though. We were supposed to go away for the weekend , perhaps catch some of the racing,but it ain't looking too good right now.( fair weather sailors)LOL.
DID I TELL YOU about our race start in the classics regatta?. It was a complicated start line, what do we do." follow the Dicksons"said one of the crew. Chris and his father and Uncle on board the old family boat. So we tootled around on their stern weaving in and out of the boats, and started in their lee but managed to spit through with a bit more way on. Just slid across a starboard boats bow and into clear air. The Dicksons boat got caught up in the Start line bundle and we got away. Thanks Chris and Roy.( great guys) :D he made some luck for us.

Leon Steyns
02-27-2003, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the comments! I hope to see some racing this weekend, with a little luck Eurosport will air some footage... :confused:

That start must have been really cool!!! :eek: :cool:
Sounds like you did practice some good tactics there... :D
Must be great fun to race, even better now with the Cup around.

Greets, Leon Steyns.

[Edited] Dang! Forgot again... Go Alinghi! :D :D

Oh why not another piccie...


[ 02-27-2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Leon Steyns ]

John B
02-27-2003, 02:35 PM
They are talking about it today . no announcements as yet. If they do..... 3 metre seas. whooo hoo. surfing time.

John B
02-27-2003, 03:20 PM
They are going out according to latest news. The swells aren't 3 m. That was just some pillock on the radio saying that. More like 1 to 1.5 metres.

John B
02-27-2003, 06:15 PM
They're out there Donn. due to start in about an hour 10mins. I haven't heard anything contrary yet except that it's raining, ( I found that out for myself)and that it will be lumpy. No TV coverage here yet.

If anything stops it it will be the lumpyness.
I hope they have their lumpometers with them.

[ 02-27-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

John B
02-27-2003, 06:54 PM
It's on. 1/2 an hour to a start. 15 to 20 knots NE. a bit messy but the tide has changed to go with the wind now so it should smooth a bit.

Tom Lathrop
02-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Just got an e-mail from Garry Jobson that the race will be shown time delayed beginning at midnight on ESPN2. I guess they could not preempt the regular progaram since this was a scheduled lay day.

John Bell
02-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Grrrrr. ESPN, whattaya doin'! :mad:

Somebody please tell us what's going on? :confused:

Doug Wood
02-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Guess I'll have to get the coffee going later tonight - sheesh!

imported_Steven Bauer
02-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Tom, Gary Jobson sends you e-mails!? Wow.

John B, whats with Coutts and Butterworth facing expulsion from the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron?

Guess it'll be a late night here in Maine. And I can't hang out here or someone might spoil the outcome. :D

02-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I think ESPN2 is annoyed. Basketball game at 8. They had two 2-hour slots for the race earlier in the week that went unfilled. The kids basketball is a filler show.

[ 02-27-2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

02-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Try this;

racing (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/americascup/races/raceupdate)

John Bell
02-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks Tad! Now I won't be up until 2:00 am.

02-27-2003, 07:54 PM
It's not great, but they do explain who's ahead.

Best, Tad

John B
02-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Alinghi showing the way so far... fast sailing.

John B
02-27-2003, 08:14 PM
2 1/2 legs gone and Alinghi is well ahead. some dramatic sailing, especially downhill. You can see the benefit of that sexy little oracle type bow Alinghi has on it now.Her decks are nearly dry. TNZ was in to the deck and more on the run.

John B
02-27-2003, 08:22 PM
It's all over. TNZ dropped their rig.

02-27-2003, 08:25 PM

Could you see how it happened?

John B
02-27-2003, 08:29 PM
They drove over a big wave on the wind and dipped into the next. Hard to tell what let go, whether it was the forestay or just the pump of the mast which blew it. It broke about 20ft above the deck.
Implies a lower shroud failure to me.

The wave looked suspiciously like a wake to me actually.It looked like it came from the wrong side. No excuse though. they were losing anyway with a lot of media speculation on the set of their mainsail and closeups of a draft stripe detaching from the sail.

[ 02-27-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

02-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks John,

At one point the NZ Herald had the wind at 26, now they say the dismasting was in 17-18 knots?

A bad day at the races!

John B
02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
mumble, mmmrpphrsehhggrrf. should have been spruce, mumble.

John Bell
02-27-2003, 10:35 PM
John B, I can only imagine the mood in Aukland right now... :(

Can TNZ ask for a lay day or do they have to race tommorrow?

John B
02-27-2003, 10:52 PM
I think they will race John. I know I'll be upset if they don't because it's Saturday tommorrow and I have a day close to the TV planned. I'm thinking sash cords actually. There are two sash windows that need the cords replacing in the roomwiththetv so , since I haven't pulled one of them apart before, tommorrow looks like a good day to find out. Therefore TNZ should race.

After all, it's the least they could do.

02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
They can't ask for a delay. Though the weather may help them out a bit. Any news of the forcast?

I hear they plan to swap masts with tnz-81 to be ready tomorrow.

So if the Swiss win the cup- where will the next race be?

[ 02-27-2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: TomFF ]

John B
02-27-2003, 11:22 PM
maybe we'll go out there instead. Cheer those boys on. watch out tommorrow for a boat like a splinter with no freeboard and a gaff rig. sail # 33.

Another big night ahead for TNZ.

imported_Steven Bauer
02-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Wow! That was scary. They are lucky nobody was hurt. What a heartbreaker.


Leon Steyns
02-28-2003, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the reports! I'm very sad this happened, no one deserves this. Particularly not TNZ. :( :(


I do like seeing Alinghi win, but this has little to do with sport.

I'll be looking for that #33!!! Be careful out there (I've read the Tri-story).

Greets, Leon Steyns.

Leon Steyns
02-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Dang! That's a load of cash torn to shreds here:


Despite the unfortunate events, there can only be one winner.
"One more to go..."


Greets, Leon Steyns.

Go Alinghi!

[ 02-28-2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Leon Steyns ]

Doug Wood
02-28-2003, 08:06 AM
Wow, 4 races and 2 DNF's for TNZ. Sure feel bad for these guys. Only good thing is nobody got hurt.

John Bell
02-28-2003, 08:13 AM
I don't necessarily agree that what's happened is unsportsmanlike. A huge part of this regatta is the preparation, design, and engineering that takes place before the boats take the race course. Alinghi forged their team and gear in the fires of the LV Cup, TNZ worked on their defender in the sterile vacuum of two boat testing. TNZ made it work in 2000, probably because they had the best design team, the best rig engineering, and the best afterguard. This time things are a lot more equal in the design department, and the sailing is pretty close, too.

It's just like auto racing - you have to finish in order to win. So woe be to the team who doesn't prepare for reliability as well as speed.

Paul Denison
02-28-2003, 08:15 AM
I'll bet some of TNZ's engineers are pretty red faced. It looks like they designed a little too close to te edge.

Pete Dorr
02-28-2003, 10:03 AM
dang, forgot to set the vcr.

Leon - what's the Tri-story ?

02-28-2003, 06:53 PM
I saw that on the national news.

Pretty sad that it takes catastrophic failure to get broadcast news coverage. :rolleyes:

If the Swiss get the cup, where in Europe do you think the races will be held?

02-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Watching the race again, they had good helicopter shots from directly above both boats. Alinghi's mast was bowing just as much as TNZ's - I had no idea they bowed THAT much - but TNZ had a broken batten in the main as you know. Plowed really hard into the swell that broke the stay, I don't think it was a wake. Looks like they had three men overboard. Bet they'd been taking on water again.

[ 03-01-2003, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

Leon Steyns
03-01-2003, 06:09 AM

At the end of race three, when the spectator fleet rushed back to harbour, a launch and a large trimaran collided. No one got injured, fortunately. Read the story here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/marine/marinestorydisplay.cfm?storyid=3147084&reportid=57034).

Rumour has it that if Alinghi takes the Cup to Geneva, the next Match will be held in Lisbon. The Med is less likely, because there will probably be Challengers from at least France and Italy.
See also here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/sailing/02/06/swiss.tech.biz/index.html). Quote: "Bertarelli said last month that if Alinghi won the trophy he would consider moving sailing's top event to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Majorca, Lisbon or Saint Tropez."

Greets, Leon Steyns.

Pete Dorr
03-01-2003, 09:02 AM
It must have been like the scene from Caddyshack.

Neither boat is small. So you gotta wonder what they were thinking.

If I were out there I'd just hang out till the crowds left. Who wants to be off the water anyway.

03-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Leon Steyns:

At the end of race three, when the spectator fleet rushed back to harbour, a launch and a large trimaran collided. No one got injured, fortunately. Read the story here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/marine/marinestorydisplay.cfm?storyid=3147084&reportid=57034).OUCH!! :eek:
Don't sailboats have the right of way? :confused:

Rumour has it that if Alinghi takes the Cup to Geneva, the next Match will be held in Lisbon. The Med is less likely, because there will probably be Challengers from at least France and Italy.
See also here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/sailing/02/06/swiss.tech.biz/index.html). Quote: "Bertarelli said last month that if Alinghi won the trophy he would consider moving sailing's top event to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Majorca, Lisbon or Saint Tropez."

Greets, Leon Steyns.Thanks

03-02-2003, 06:31 AM
AUCKLAND, New Zealand -- Swiss biotech billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli grabbed the America's Cup and tossed it onto his shoulder, celebrating a remarkable victory for a country without an ocean.

Landlocked Switzerland did what so many other European nations failed to do -- bring sailing's biggest prize to the continent for the first time in the silver trophy's 152-year history,

''For me, the fact that Switzerland wins the America's Cup is a sign of hope for a lot of people,'' Bertarelli said. ''It really says to the world that the impossible doesn't exist.''

John B
03-02-2003, 02:44 PM
It's all over.

Well WE had a nice couple of days on the water anyway. Had to go for swims on Saturday though. way too hot. Funny thing was , they called off the race and we had the most gorgeous sail for an hour or so. Log never went below 4.8 and we were sailing at 6 and 7 knots within that hour.

Yes Lisbon is being bandied around a lot as the next destination.....