PDA

View Full Version : Advise for our trip to Maine....

NormMessinger
03-07-2004, 11:14 AM
From my brother in Western Kansas:
Just in case I would forget when you get ready to take your trip to Maine. her is a little advice from an old salt.

Besure to behold the wonders of the mighty deep.
Where crabs and lobsters learn to creep,
And little fishes learn to swim.
And clumsy sailors tumble in

He's an old salt alright, but he hasn't been on a boat since the USNavy let him of an aircraft carrier in 1947.

N. Scheuer
03-07-2004, 11:22 AM
We're towing TRUE NORTH to Penobscott Bay, ourselves, starting about July 22. When are you going, Norm?

We'll be part of the annual Shallow Water Sailors' "Magnum Opus Cruise" involving a couple of other Shearwaters, some Dovekies, probably a Martha Jane or two, and whatever else has no fear of shoal water.

Moby Nick

NormMessinger
03-07-2004, 11:49 AM
The Ford willing we will be there for the Elements of Seamanship course beginning July 11. We then want to sail about for the following week, exactly where to be determined.

Venchka
03-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Norm,

Whatever you do, don't eat the lobstas and don't go near any lighthouses! :D

Leon m
03-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
The Ford willing .LOL :D

When you get there,sneak up to Jacks house,ring
the doorbell,then run.Do that at least once a day
while your there :D ...should make for some
interesting post :D

Jack Heinlen
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Norm,

You will, one way or another if headed for Penobscot Bay, be passing in shouting distance. Are you planning to drive Rt. One or through Bangor? Haven't got that far in your plans? Summertime, I'd recommend the interstate. Though not nearly so picturesque it is easy. Rt. One is truly a nightmare of traffic from about June first through Labor Day. It's probably not that bad, I avoid it so can't speak from much experience. It is funny though how the rush of cars up Rt. One forms the thinking of the natives. I've some things I want to buy at Hamilton Marine, and I must go in the next few months, not in June. smile.gif

If I can speed you in any way, let me know. And I haven't a doorbell. smile.gif

P.S. If this is your first time up this way, or even a rare visit, you are probably going to want to drive the coast. Start in Bath, not Kennebunk, and make sure the brakes on your truck and trailer are up to snuff, 'cause it's liable to be stop and go in places. And email me closer to the date. We'll do something.

[ 03-07-2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

NormMessinger
03-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Interesting thing about slow traffic: Only in southern Texas have I found folks pulling over on the shoulder to let faster traffic pass. That is not just those sanctimoniously driving the speed limit but those "little old ladies" (which can be either sex) polking along as if on the way home from church.

Don't worry Jack, it'd be a bit much to get to your place once a day and still play with boats enough to get our monies worth even if you did have a door bell. Mapquest likes Hwy 3 out of Augusta but 15 out of Bangor would put us on 2 lane less. In any case I'd probably be the one holding up traffic. I've been toying with the possiblilty of camping at Camden State Park July 10to have an easy drive to Brooklin on the 11th but, that is out of the way and invloves a lot more two lane. We shall see.

Bruce Hooke
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Norm, I've been driving up to the Castine - Deer Isle area (next door to Brooklin) for many years now (my parents and various other relatives live up there), and I almost always take Route 3 from Augusta to Belfast and then Route 1 up through Bucksport. On route 3 you can occasionally get stuck behind someone who is going slow but in my experience it's relatively rare. It should be noted that when it does happen most of the passing opportunities are the climbing lanes on hills, which are not much help if you have little ability to accelerate up hills. I also rarely run into traffic problems on route 1 between Belfast and Bucksport. Most of the Route 1 traffic problems are south of Belfast.

The route through Bangor also does work well and is not much longer.

If you come across on Route 3 then Camden Hills State Park is just a short jog (15 miles) down Route 1. It is a beautiful state park and a very nice place to stay. I camped there for the last Wooden Boat Show in Rockland. The one caveat is that you would do well to get your reservation in soon because it does book up early. The best sites are on the upper loop (but stay away from the spur that leads to the restrooms -- most of those sites get a lot of light from the all-night light at the restroom building). The sites on the lower loop are fine, they are just closer to together and closer to the road. The sites on the spur off the bottom of the lower loop are in a grassy field that is within sight of the road.

One other advantage of Route 3, if your timing is right (and your follow travelers don't mind), is that you can make a stop at Liberty Tool Company, in Liberty. This is a wonderful used tool store with a huge selection of used tools that are, for the most part, meant to be used rather than put in a display case, and are priced accordingly, or at least so I recall from the last time I stopped there. Unfortunately, I usually seem to be making that drive in the evening, when Liberty Tool is not open. To give you sense of the place here are a couple of pictures I found on the web:

http://www.jonesport-wood.com/LibPhotos/libfirst4.jpg

http://www.jonesport-wood.com/LibPhotos/libfirst10.jpg

Here is a link to there website (scroll down to get to Liberty Tool): http://www.jonesport-wood.com/jwabout.htm

[ 03-07-2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Hooke ]

Bruce Hooke
03-07-2004, 10:03 PM
As to "driving the coast" (i.e., Route 1 between Bath and Belfast), IMOOP it's really only worthwhile if you have time to get off Route 1 and explore a bit. Most of Route 1 is too far inland to see anything of the coast from the road, and for the most part it's not an especially scenic road.

Jack Heinlen
03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Norm,

If the timing works, you let me know, you and your bride have a bed and an evening meal here. I'm about halfway between Bangor and Bucksport, just off Rt. 15. Nuthin fancy, but better than a motel. Well...maybe. I'll even wash the sheets. smile.gif

It spends on timing, if you pass here at noon it will be different than arriving tired at sunset, but the offer is there. Let me know as time approaches.

In anycase it would be nice to meet you and maybe even sail with you.

Jack

Ken Hutchins
03-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Things to avoid in Maine, New Hampshire, possibly even Mass. and New York. You will be seeing signs "Brake for Moose, it could save your life". This is serious as hitting a 1000 pound animal could be a disaster, dammed difficult to see them at night. They don't read the signs so could be found crossing the road anywhere. :eek:

JeffH
03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Then there's the lady who wanted the DOT to take down the "deer crossing" sign near her house because too many deer were getting hurt and she didn't want them crossing there any more....

imported_Steven Bauer
03-08-2004, 11:44 PM
I'd love to get a look at Prairie Islander and a chance to take a sail with you would be unbelievable. You guys are welcome here in Portland if that works out. Lotsa sheets. :D

Steven

ken mcclure
03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Try to stop at "The Egg and I" in Wells (near Ogunquit & Kennebunk - southern coast) if you're going through there. And if it's still there. IIRC, they had the best pancakes SWMBO and I have ever had.

Bruce Taylor
03-09-2004, 06:13 PM
We're planning a Maine excursion for the summer, too. Maybe we'll cross paths!

Maggie's been on the internet for two days, looking for a house to rent in the vicinity of Blue Hill. We seem to have left it a bit late, though...she's having a hard time finding a good one.

Jack Heinlen
03-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Bruce,

You and Maggie and attendant young'uns are welcome for a night too, assuming the young ones have bed roles.

I haven't a line on a house in Blue Hill, but will put my ear to the ground. Not much use likely, but it's there anyway. I bet they are almost all already rented.

Jack

Mrleft8
03-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Don't forget to bring a sweater. It can get chilly in the evening even in summer....(Both days of it! :D )

Joe Dupere
03-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
Don't forget to bring a sweater. It can get chilly in the evening even in summer....(Both days of it! :D )Don't believe a word of it, Norm!! We get a full week of summer here in Maine. Of course, they're not consecutive days...

Joe :D

Doug Wood
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
10 months of Winter...2 months of bad sledding

imported_Steven Bauer
03-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Bruce, how about one time forumite Rick Prose's Harborfields (http://www.harborfields.com) They have guest houses or you can stay on his sailboat Galaxy! (at least you used to be able to)

Looks pretty nice:

http://www.harborfields.com/shore%20porch.gif

It's in West Boothbay Harbor though, not in Blue Hill.

Steven

Alan D. Hyde
03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Sail out to Matinicus.

God's country, none better.

Arrange for a mooring by calling ahead to Dick Moody.

Alan

http://www.spanierman.com/starkweather/starkweather96021009f_b.jpg

http://www.maine-coast-realty.com/rockland.vinalhaven.tenants.harbor.friendship.main e.delorme.bmp

Matinicus is at the bottom right (I'll post a better map, Norm, when I find one).

Here's another. Not ideal, though:

http://www.state.me.us/mdot/opt/ferry/images/ferrymap.jpg

[ 03-10-2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

Bruce Taylor
03-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Brilliant suggestion, Steven! I'll pass the info to Maggie.

Meerkat
03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I did a double-take when I saw the Maine state farry service - at first I thought it said Maine rock ferry service - which, given the character of maine's coast is pretty apropos, but I would not expect a state agency to have such a sense of humor ;)

"Maine - home of chunky waters" ;)

Jack Heinlen
03-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey, not a problem, you're welcome.

Bruce Taylor
03-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Jack, thanks for the offer (sorry, I missed it on my last visit to this thread!). When we pass through Bangor, we'll certainly look you up. I don't know if we'll be able to stay the night, but, if it works out that way, we'll give you plenty of advance notice.

Jack Heinlen
03-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Sorry I'm snippy Bruce, the time. You, Norm, anyone passing through here better look me up, or I'll really get snippy.

Like sushi or tempura? The only eatery worth going to in Bangor is Ichiban. Or I could rustle something up. We'll see.

Ed Harrow
03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Norm, I'm sure Rick and Barb (and crew) will go more than out of their way for you. Harborfields is a great spot, and you can rest your eyes on Roseway across the harbor (I'm sure she'll still be there).