PDA

View Full Version : Some days are good

Kermit
11-06-2002, 05:40 PM
I spent last weekend in Seattle, alone, in a downtown hotel, going where I wanted, dawdling where I pleased. I was struck by two things:

1) Downtown Seattle sure has changed in 40 years. Much of it's for the better, and without losing the early morning habitues seeking a wake-up coffee. I even found some good breakfast greasyspoons. One doesn't have to drink Starbucks in Seattle.

2) The gentrification of Lake Union sucks. Condo-mimimums ashore and tupperware afloat. It hasn't all been converted yet, but the momentum is there.

Before leaving, I found a pawnshop that called me in to take home a wonderful little English concertina, and a dim bookstore where I found a really truly like new copy of Culler's BOATS, OARS, AND ROWING. Even the dustjacket was "fine." And for 30 bucks. Which is what I then sold my older copy for to a friend who wanted it. A bargain for both of us.

Some days are good. smile.gif

Dave Fleming
11-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Gosh K, that was some trek for you all the way from Whidbey to downtown Seattle. :D

[ 11-06-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Venchka
11-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Kermit,

Is that book wherein Capt. Pete defines the perfect location of an oarlock based on the rowers forarm length, thwart location, etc.?

If so, would you mind sharing the magic equation with the rest of us?

Thanks!

Wayne
30N, 90W

TomRobb
11-07-2002, 01:26 PM
L. Union's creeping gentrification is sad to be sure. But there is enough good stuff there still. Here's hoping that it doesn't get worse. How many Marina Queens and fern bars does the world need :(
You live on Whidbey Island and havn't been to Seattle in 40 years? Be careful on the long trek back home :D

[ 11-07-2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: TomRobb ]

Kermit
11-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Tom, I get to Seattle whenever I feel like I can stand the traffic. :rolleyes: But I bet it's been 20 since I just hung out in the city alone for a weekend. :( And all the transit/transportation measures just failed. :mad: But WestSeattlites will be able to ride to Ballard on a monorail. ;) Now if we could just extend that to Mukilteo. :eek:

Wayne, see my post "Captain Pete..." in this topic.

TomRobb
11-08-2002, 02:13 PM
They're finally going to extend the monorail? It's about time! Running it across the 520 & 90 (a loop?) would be another great idea smile.gif