PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sailor at Sea for Several Months

Dave Fleming
10-21-2002, 02:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21, 2002
New Home for Sailor After Months Adrift
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ENTURA, Calif., Oct. 20 (AP) Things are looking up for Richard Van Pham, who spent months adrift at sea before being rescued off Costa Rica.

Mr. Pham escaped his adventure last month with his life but little else, because his boat, the Sea Breeze, was damaged beyond repair. Since then, however, he has received gifts from around the world, including a new 25-foot sloop.

Erwin Freund, a bioengineer from Camarillo, gave Mr. Pham the sloop and says he deserves it. "He appeals to our alter ego," Mr. Freund said. "He's living the way I'd like to."

Mr. Pham's supporters were not fazed by the revelation that he has a record of arrests for aggravated battery and marijuana possession.

"The arrests don't make me change my mind," Mr. Freund said. "He was not prosecuted. He didn't spend a day in jail."

Mr. Pham's new home occupies a slip in Ventura Harbor and has five sails, a small bedroom, a radio, flares, a television and a VCR.

His ocean odyssey began soon after he set sail from Long Beach, Calif., for Santa Catalina Island in May, when a storm broke his mast and outboard motor and his two-way radio failed. He drifted for more than three months until he was rescued by a passing frigate.

Mr. Pham says he does not know where he will go next. "If you travel on the sea you love it," he said.

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy

NormMessinger
10-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Who said people are no damn good. Oh I did. Never mind.

I had hoped this would happen after the publicity of his hard times after his moment of fame.

--Norm

Joe (SoCal)
10-21-2002, 04:15 PM
"He appeals to our alter ego," Mr. Freund said. "He's living the way I'd like to."
Wonderful way of putting it, I totally agree except of course the nearly starving to death at sea part smile.gif

Venchka
10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
The experience of this gentleman on the Left Coast and the similar fate of a man off the Right Coast makes me wonder.................EPIRB, anyone?

Wayne
30N, 90W

Paul Scheuer
10-21-2002, 07:23 PM
I have a fairly negative perception of this event based on the pictures and reports I've seen. I'm not sure I'd want this guy's lifestyle. I hope someone keeps track and updates us on any future developments.

Don Olney
10-21-2002, 09:42 PM
Instead of giving him a TV and a VCR, they should have given him something useful...like a three month supply of MREs.