PDA

View Full Version : Shipmate stove

searcher
11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I have just bought a boat with a shipmate wood burning stove. Any experience, info or advice?

ChuckG
11-17-2005, 08:40 PM
smile.gif Shades of the Whole Earth Catalog!

Now you have a use for those hardwood scraps.

Make sure you have good draft on the stack to keep it burning well, and watch out for soot and sparks on deck. A little hot fire is better than a larger, smouldery one.

How much space are you heating? What kind of boat are we talking about?

cg

Ken Hutchins
11-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Don't listen to someone like me tell you it's no good so you should sell it to me for oh about $200. :D What size, number is your stove?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-18-2005, 03:17 AM
What Ken just said.

I have just taken out a Shipmate Skippy, which rusted through after 20 years service, including staying in all winter when I was living aboard, and have replaced it with a Shipmate 201 - rather a posh model.

VERY good equipment. Which model is yours?

searcher
11-18-2005, 09:36 AM
32 ft Friendship sloop, don't know the model #,
and I aint selling it. Can you burn hardwood charcoal or even coal?

Thad
11-18-2005, 03:41 PM
My Shipmate has firebrick lining and an ash shaker that say coal as well as wood. Because of the heat of coal you need the firebrick to protect the iron. Great little stove. You just have to be especially careful to have good chimney draw with charcoal especially because of CO poisoning.

[ 11-18-2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

Jay Greer
11-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Make sure that you have a water deck iron for the stack!
I have a Shipmate 211 in my own boat. It keeps the cabin dry, warm and snug. For any accessories contact my good friend Andrew, the marine wood burning stove expert.
http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm
Cheers,
JG

Dougpol1
11-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't burn soft coal in your shipmate. I put a couple of shovels of soft coal in mine and it sooted up the chimny. The cabin filled with smoke Waking up in the nightI had to crawl ot of the boat on my hands and knees, too weak to stand up. I burned wood, hard coal and in the bahams coconut husks. I made a basket of wire to fit down in the top so that I could put 4 or 5 charcoal bricks to make a pot of coffee without heating the whole cabin. If you don't know how you best learn to make bread. Nothing like it made in the oven of a Shipmate. Doug

bugeye
11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi folks,
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I recently acquired a shipmate 214 stove, in brand new condition, and I'd like to find some info on it. I've tried googling but haven't found anything satisfying. It was a real win-win situation, all I had to do as payment was to take a group of people sailing to Pulpit Harbor and back, and they brought the beer! If anyone has any info or firsthand experience with this stove, I'd love to hear of it. It's quite alot bigger than the shipmate knock-offs made now, so the link listed a few posts up wasn't much help. Thanks all.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-23-2005, 04:05 AM
They are not Shipmate knock offs; they are a different design, originally made by Lunenberg Foundry.

The 214 as I recall is much like the 211, but larger. You need a pretty big boat for it.

bugeye
11-23-2005, 06:16 AM
hi,
The boat is a 49' round-sterned bugeye. It's just the right size.

sawcutmill
11-23-2005, 01:57 PM
More links to heating issues ,http://www.rural-energy.com/publications/catalog/category/5