PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Breakdown

adampet
02-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Just got word on the first race of the America's Cup (via the web, no ESPN. waaa!) NZ withdrew with gear failure on the first leg, all Alinghi has to do is sail the course to win the race. So much for the Kiwi's heavy weather sailing. Apparently their new lightweight boom broke, then the tack of the headsail blew out and the replacement jib also had a failure.

Not sure who I want to root for though :confused:

rbgarr
02-14-2003, 09:04 PM
NZ also had a hellacious amount of water coming in over the leeward rail and surging around in the cockpit! A foredeckman was scooping it out with a big bucket to no avail.Quite a disappointment all the way around.

Wild Wassa
02-15-2003, 02:00 AM
I was enjoying the race for the 5 minutes that it lasted, I didn't dinghy race today, just so I could watch the race. Tomorrow I'm not racing either. I hope the old boat is up to it, tomorrow.

The start was a dead heat, the timing was amazing how accurate both Skippers were, ... excellent skill.

I can't remember who made the comments on the site back during the Louis Vuitton, when they cancelled the races in 22 knots, Todd Bradshaw ?, I made light of this at the time, not the poster's comments but the situation being overly precious.

Well today every time Silver Fern was hit by 22kts, she failed repeatedly, I thought the team would know their own conditions. I can't believe how badly the new boat failed. Someone has not done their calculations. It even looked like the boat was going to broach when she was close and full, 30 seconds into the first beat, it looked like she hit a whale. That must of been one of the breakages, possibly the boom.

Warren.

ps, The guy who sailed with my son today, and who Skippered, normally it's me, suffered a head injury and had to leave the water. Lots of points lost today they didn't do well. Not a good day all round, ... in the Antipodies.

[ 02-15-2003, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Joe (SoCal)
02-15-2003, 02:38 AM
OK now this proves I'm a died in the wool sailor and I didn't even know it. I had to work tonight nice hun slinging porterhouses and manhattans on Valentine's Day :( That's a first for me. Anyway made good scratch though so cant complain about that. OK so I'm up at the bar waiting on the bartender in the weeds when above the bar to no ones attention is the Americas cup on ESPN 2. I'm engrossed I see the guy with the bucket, I deliver drinks I rush back I see the guy out on the spinnaker - hell was it blowing out there in NZ or what !!!! Then I see the poor NZ team rails in the soup then the team loose there rig, and I'm like holy ****e all that talk about the hoola and the rig goes. Back to the tables yarning with patrons find a salty soul who gives a rats ass about it and just go off on a tangent with him about the cup. In the process I pick up a sweet $65 tip at the end of the night, might have something to what his amazingly beautiful girl ( God was she a looker ) whispered in his ear just before she ordered him a double esspesso :D But I like to think he was a sailor too smile.gif

Wild Wassa
02-15-2003, 02:42 AM
No doubt he could spot a Brother sailor Joe. If he can afford to give a $65 tip, ... he must have a fine yacht.

Warren.

Nicholas Carey
02-15-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Wild Wassa:
If he can afford to give a $65 tip, ... he must have a fine yacht.Or not...as the case may be :D

Leon Steyns
02-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Dive!, dive!, dive!... :D

Torpedos belong on subs... :D :D

Not a nice way to win a race, though. Hope to see something better tomorrow. One down, four to go...

Go Alignhi!

Greets, Leon Steyns.

Wild Wassa
02-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Here is a list of the carnage. It still doesn't seem possible.

The jib halyard failed before the start.

They shipped water shortly after the start, no small amount of water either. Full-on. One crewman with one blue bucket in a swimming pool of water.

The end of the boom broke away.

The mainsheet stayed attached but they couldn't flatten out the foot of the sail.

The headsail tore out of the foil on the forstay.

They started to hoist the new sail, but it got stuck 3/4 of the way up.

The luff blue out of the new foil.

Then the main began to rip.

I'd say it's Alinghi's turn for some bad luck, now.

Todays wind is expected to be around 10 kts, :( .

Warren.

ps, Leon greetings to you Mate. Go Alinghi ? Do you honestly want to see the America's Cup, a blue water Classic sailed on Lake Geneva ?

[ 02-15-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

ahp
02-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Why doesn't someone with a Folkboat challenge these eggshells to a real race! Twenty two knots of wind? That doesn't even qualify for a single reef!

john welsford
02-15-2003, 03:48 PM
There is a rumour around that the root cause of all this was a damaged hatch that let several tons of water into the bilge, lowering the boat in the water and loading up the boats rig way beyond design loadings. But T NZ have been trialling for months , and have been out in worse that yesterday so I will be intrigued to find out the truth of what went on , but dont exect it to come out until after the series is over.
Interesting to watch NZL both moving forward and pointing higher for the first few minutes while all was functional.
I'll be glued to the telly this afternoon.
JohnW

Wild Wassa
02-15-2003, 04:23 PM
John W, Good luck for today.

Warren.

rbgarr
02-15-2003, 05:54 PM
I was watching ESPN2 and didn't see anything that suggested a jib halyard break before the start. Must've missed it. If those boats were making (say) 8.5 knots to windward the windspeed over the deck would have been as much as 30 knots at times and even more at the top of the mast. Loved the helicopter shot that showed Alinghi tacking, but because of it we missed the moment NZ 82's boom-end broke, the main developed a small tear at the clew and they lost outhaul tension. Quite a gut check coming up tonight. Can't wait!

Leon Steyns
02-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Warren,

I apologize for being a bit rude there! I haven't seen race two yet (we're way behind here in Europe :( ), but I know Alinghi now leads with two points. Breaking gear doesn't add to the sports, both teams deserve a fair chance and an opportunity to show their sailing skills (instead of the latest composite materials, however necessary).

Ernesto Bertarelli said last month that if Alinghi will win the Cup, he will consider moving sailing's top event to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Majorca, Saint Tropez or Lisbon. That reassures me that it will remain a true blue water event. ;) tongue.gif
I'd love to travel to the Med and finally have a chance to watch it with my own eyes!!! :D :D :D

Interesting to note that there is also one Atlantic candidate city (Lisbon), now that would be something! If it were me, I'd go for the Solent... smile.gif

Greets, Leon Steyns.

Go Alinghi!, (but may the best team win... smile.gif )

Nicholas Carey
02-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Wild Wassa:
Go Alinghi ? Do you honestly want to see the America's Cup, a blue water Classic sailed on Lake Geneva ?It's got to be sailed in salt water (Deed of Gift restriction.) Alinghi has some sort of arrangement with a yacht club in Italy.

Go Alinghi! I want to see it raced in the Med...in Mar. It should be interesting when the Mistral blows in from North Africa, don't you think?