PDA

View Full Version : Got some marine plywood (guess what for)

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-03-2002, 04:21 PM
So about 0730 the HARBOR Sales truck pulls up and drops off some marine ply and MDO. SWMBO wants me to make a Mary and Joseph display for XMAS hence the MDO. Later on we went out to move the ply and load the Opti into the truck to drive it around back and carry to the basement. I put the MDO in the truck and as I picked up the 3mm ply she asks what this is for.... I just said oh, a project I'm working on.... :D Since I always have some iron in the fire and it is close to xmas she didn't say anything else...hehehehhe

I'm finally going to get started on the CLC kayak (Yare design)plans that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years! Shhhh,don't tell her! ;)
Although at Thanksgiving dinner I was real glad to hear my brother say he'd bought another w.w. kayak and I asked him how many he had now. FIVE was the answer and I made him repeat it for SWMBO!! Course he can fit them all in the back of my truck....

So if you don't hear from me for a while you'll know what happened... :(

Wild Dingo
12-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Well done mate!!! see how caniving {sp?} we gots to be to get anything done?? :eek:

Well mate you get stuck into it and when you finally drag it out into the sunshine and park it next to those 5 of your brothers she will sigh and smile at her man... seeing the fine job hes done! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

[ 12-03-2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

JimD
12-03-2002, 07:09 PM
David, the first kayak I built was Chris Kulczyki's (sp-sorry Chris) Yare and didn't like it. May I ask why you chose that design?
jimd

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-03-2002, 07:26 PM
I've no bloody idea why I chose it now...! The postmark on the envelope was Aug 92!!! That's how long I've had the plans... Actually I had come to the same conclusion over the past few years and had tried sitting in one of their boats at the WB show a few years ago. The Chesapeak 17 is much better suited for me. However, the plans were in hand, it only takes 2 sheets of 3mm and I've probably got scrap lying around for everything else... Anyway, this is my first stitch and glue so I'll per-fect my tech-nique and then build something better!
BTW I only recently found out that Chris K sold the business a couple of years ago to the shop manager, John and went back to writing full time or something like that.

Oh, and Shane, I've already got 4 sailboats in varying degrees of usability and have been looking at getting a powerboat (wood of course). I am treading on some seriously thin ice however w/ SWMBO. She really wants to be able to put the van in the garage at night now that we're getting frost. You'd think w/ a 3 car garage that would be possible... My car, the Lightning that's being restored, the tractor, the tiller, etc,etc, and the 3rd bay is my shop.. Well hell, that don't leave too much room. Course I did go down the road today to measure off a friends barn they built; may just have to build me a boat barn next summer.... Hmmmmm.

[ 12-03-2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: David Tabor (sailordave) ]

JimD
12-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by David Tabor (sailordave):
...it only takes 2 sheets of 3mm and I've probably got scrap lying around for everything else... Anyway, this is my first stitch and glue so I'll per-fect my tech-nique and then build something better!
.David, that's about what I thought when I chose to build one. Its actually harder to build than a yak with chines and more panels because its hard to get a good hull shape. May I humbly suggest if you're determined to build a yare, design a couple bulkheads to get a good shape.
jimd

NormMessinger
12-05-2002, 10:28 AM
A friend here has a Yare that he gets a lot of use out of. He's a little wort for a grown man. I tried to get in to it and couldn't (220 lbs, 5'17"). If one sights along the keel line with the boat upside down there is a hump fore and aft. I tried to make one from 1/8" door skin and could not figure out how to eliminate the said humps. Obviously it can be done but it aint easy. I chopped up my effort.

Bob was whipping along I-29 a while back and had the Yare blow off the top of his car. Broke it right in half. He looked glum when he showed up on my door step a while later with the pieces. No problem, Mate, I said, or words to that effect. So with my good advice he stuck it back together added a little glass/googue band-aid inside and out and the thing is as good as new.

But I digress.... I talked to someone at CLC who said one of the shop men could probably tell me how to eliminate the humps but I did not pursue the design. They may help you as well.

--Norm

[ 12-05-2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: NormMessinger ]

brian.cunningham
12-05-2002, 03:39 PM
Ah someone else who's torturing thier plywood :D

Let's us all know what you think of this building method.