PDA

View Full Version : Patience is a Vertue (again)

Ian G Wright
11-18-2002, 08:42 AM
For those who care there is another picture of Patience on the Vertue owners pages at
http://fp2k.interalpha.net/vertueowners/

What think?

IanW.

[ 11-18-2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Ian G Wright ]

Bruce Taylor
11-18-2002, 09:01 AM
I think there's a strange bushy-faced man occupying the boat of my dreams.

John R Smith
11-18-2002, 09:21 AM
What think?

Great link.

Gorgeous boat.

John

Ian G Wright
11-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Taylor:
I think there's a strange bushy-faced man occupying the boat of my dreams.Strange? Me strange? You may be looking at the character sitting on the coach roof, her name is Sheila and 'though othewise perfect she married me. Wait,,,,,, bushy? No,,,,,

IanW.

Bruce Taylor
11-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Hmm, I was referring to the shady character in the Heybridge locks photo...a berserker, evidently -- half man, half bear...just the fellow you'd want for a Battle of Maldon reenactment.

What do you have to do to get your hands on a Vertue like yours? It's perfect.

John R Smith
11-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Looks like Ian's still got all (most) of his hair, too. Rats ;)

John

Ian G Wright
11-18-2002, 11:32 AM
half man, half bear...
.Half stomach,,, smile.gif
In fact the pic I was talking about is on the Vertue home page, just click on the link I gave and look down a couple of inches.
And to get a Vertue? Just buy one and paint it,,,,,, Like mine? Fit gaff rig. See? Easy.
Or build one. Longest time building 15 years, shortest 1 year. Or ask your local boat yard, you should get change from 140,000........ or do what I did, find a good boat building school, ask nicely, wait 3 or 4 years and get one for the same price as a plastic version.
Then again you could wait a few years and contact my executors.

IanW.

[ 11-18-2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Ian G Wright ]

Dave Fleming
11-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Ian I still have that Vertue Album on my Imagestation page.

Art Read
11-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Nice pictures, Ian... It looks like you've gotten around the tiller being in the way of the main sheet by leading the fall forward? How/where is it made fast up there? The cabin bulkhead perhaps?

ACB
11-18-2002, 01:05 PM
I hate you! I STILL cannot get my topsail to set like that!

No, seriously, lovely photo of lovely boat.

Ian G Wright
11-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Art Read:
It looks like you've gotten around the tiller being in the way of the main sheet by leading the fall forward? How/where is it made fast up there?From the top block alomg the boom to a rope stropped single then down to a cleat on the bridgedeck. Fine for solo sailing, a pita with two in the cockpit. Better I think to rig a double ended mainsheet with cleats on the cockpit coaming or side deck, but since I DO sail mostly solo,,,,,,,,,
Oh, PS, Andrew,
Next year the mainsail is a little bigger, I'm lowering the boom by six inches and having a little less draught in the sail, plus a tow fors'l and bigger (maximum) jib. I expect to move up the OGA fleet a bit. (Ha! As if!)
IanW.

[ 11-18-2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Ian G Wright ]

Bruce Taylor
11-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Then again you could wait a few years and contact my executors.Too unpredictable. There's no telling how long I'd have to wait for that happy day. And I'm afraid the fellow in that picture looks disappointingly durable.

I don't expect to find a Vertue among the shrink-wrapped Bayliners at my local boatyard. I saw a sailboat there, once, but it was a Hobie cat.

Now, if I wanted to build one of these where would I look for plans?

Scott Rosen
11-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Now, if I wanted to build one of these where would I look for plans?You couldn't pick a better small cruising sail boat for seaworthiness and general all around good looks.

I think the availability of plans has been discussed. If you do a search under Laurent Giles, you should find what you are looking for.

Or you can go right to the Laurent Giles website, which offers Vertue plans for sale. Follow the links to Stock Plans.

http://www.laurentgiles.co.uk/

Alan D. Hyde
11-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Bruce, you'd look at:

www.laurentgiles.co.uk (http://www.laurentgiles.co.uk)

Happy browsing!

Alan

Bruce Taylor
11-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Scott.

Alan, I can't thank you...Scott got there first smile.gif .

I'll send for study plans.

I really have no business daydreaming about ballast-keeled cruisers...even small ones...but Ian's is the sort of boat I could get impractical about.

Now, I'll go reread "Scuppers the Sailor Dog."

[ 11-18-2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Taylor ]

Dave Fleming
11-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Bruce, see if you can dig up a copy of Humphrey Bartons's, 'Vertue 35'(?). Good read of an Atlantic crossing in one bye a, I believe partner in the LG firm,

Does not the Cleekster have a Vertue?

[ 11-18-2002, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Ian G Wright
11-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Scott.

I'll send for study plans.

I really have no business daydreaming about ballast-keeled cruisers...even small ones...
If 25ft is a little too small see also "Wanderer" at 30ft and "Dyarchy" at (someone help) 40+ feet. All ideal single/short handers boats. Same web site.
IanW

Bayboat
11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Yep, the Cleekster has a Vertue, but not much virtue. :D :D Apologies to Mr. Cleek, I just couldn't resist. But after all, he is a lawyer. tongue.gif tongue.gif

ishmael
11-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Bruce,

Once or twice a year there is a Vertue for sale in the back of WB.

Cheaper (and probably easier on your domestic relations) to buy the study plans and dream awhile. Would you have a place to sail one where you live?

Jack

John B
11-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks Ian.

Bruce Taylor
11-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Cheaper (and probably easier on your domestic relations) to buy the study plans and dream awhile.Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Also, if I frighten Maggie with pictures of a five-ton boat, maybe she'll relent on the Eun Mara question.

Would you have a place to sail one where you live?Yup. The Ottawa is a reasonably serious waterway, and there's a surprising number of big keel boats in it. You can get from there to Bora Bora without stepping ashore (although some channels are pretty shoal). And, of course, the Rideau canal takes us to the Great Lakes (Kingston is not far).

[ 11-18-2002, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Taylor ]

Ian G Wright
11-19-2002, 08:10 AM
Not to break the rules or anything but I do happen to know that Seamiste of Rhu, V78, is for sale, sound but scruffy, a good paint job needed , standard bermudan rig, heavy duty aluminium mast and the owner might listen to an offer around 10,000.

Just thought I'd mention it.

IanW.

Alan D. Hyde
11-19-2002, 10:15 AM
An excellent Humphrey Barton book is Westward Crossing, well worth reading. Lines and layout of his Vertue are in the back of the book, too.

Alan

Copies are available at www.abebooks.com (http://www.abebooks.com) starting at $8 and up, depending on condition, etc.

Ian G Wright
11-19-2002, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan D. Hyde:
[QB]An excellent Humphrey Barton book is Westward Crossing,

Ah yes, that's the US title of 'Vertue XXXV' one of many good Vertue books. See also 'Stelda, George and I' by Peter Woolas and for research 'Vertue' known as the 'Blue Book' also by Peter Woolas, o o p but a valuble find for Vertue fans. A good deal of it is at the Vertue web site as above, including lines.

IanW.

ChrisConnie
11-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Hello;

Saw this thread and thought of my uncle over in Port Townsend. He has put is Vertue up for sale. Great boat in great shape.

Send me an email and I will forward the information he sent me. I would place it here in the message but I think that would get me in trouble and I love these boards too much for that.

Adam

Bruce Taylor
11-20-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm far from ready to buy, but it's nice to know these things come available from time to time. The website seemed to imply that Vertues seldom came to market, the owners preferring, presumably, to be buried in them like King Raedwald.

rodcross
11-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Was 'Gay Nomad' intended to be a caption to the photograph? I didn't think they allowed that kind of thing in the UK.

Nice boat, Ian. Too many strings to pull, maybe. (I'm a one-halyard-one-sheet per mast kind of person.) The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures...Kevlar! ...3DL molded sails...It'll fit right in.

rodcross
11-20-2002, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah! Ian. There was one more thing I noticed in the photographs. If Parliament passes the extended Pub hours, you're in a lot of trouble.

Rod

Wiley Baggins
11-20-2002, 06:53 PM
The website seemed to imply that Vertues seldom came to market, the owners preferring, presumably, to be buried in them like King Raedwald.That's hilarious!!! smile.gif

Ian G Wright
11-21-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by rodcross:
Was 'Gay Nomad' intended to be a caption to the photograph? I didn't think they allowed that kind of thing in the UK.

"Gay Nomad" Is owned by an elderly married couple who are way beyond Gay jokes. As they remarked to me "It was called Gay Nomad long before gay came to mean homosexual, we will keep the name until it means what it once did, so b******s!"

IanW.

Bob Cleek
11-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Yep, I got a Vertue, too... My "Patience" is a Vertue also, but I bet she had her name first, Ian! (SN 136) Anyway, I'll let you plagarize my boat's name as long as you stay on your side of the pond! LOL

In case anybody is really interested, contact Barry Van Geffen, the managing partner at Giles. He's very helpful and knowledgable. They now have plans available for (egads!) STRIP PLANKING and steel!

Good boats... I wouldn't let go of mine, except for a Dyarchy... 46' of Vertue.