PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Electronics

Greg Stoll
10-22-2004, 01:58 PM
What handheld electronics does everyone use? The list would obviously include VHF and GPS, are there any others that anyone uses? Any likes/dislikes? Anything you wish you had?

I use a Uniden Mystic combination Handheld VHF/GPS with a chart plotter. It also has Digital Selective Calling, so I can send my position to anyone I want to within range and have it show up on their plotter.

The only thing I don't like is that when I key the mike, the screen automatically changes from GPS to VHF display; it makes it hard to transmit coordinates via voice.

Greg

hikingchrs
10-23-2004, 09:15 AM
On my kayak I use a hand-held garmin GPS and a sony discman.
chris

Henning 4148
10-23-2004, 03:15 PM
I confess to a handheld GPS. Actuately two, but the first one (a top brand entry model) bought in a hurry in a chandler is pretty useless on a boat as it does not offer navigation screens but is really designed to track your wanderings in the wilderness. Nevertheless, they still recommend it for boaters (argh!!!!).

Reason for owning a handheld GPS is, that when I charter I don't want to have to spend a day to understand the menues of the fixed installed ones and to check that all the settings are correct. I have found settings on marine electronics of charter yachts to be quite an issue, even up to the point of being awoken at midnight lying in harbour because some nice chap before us had set an alarm for midnight. Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep Beeep "WHAT THE F...". Same applies for everything else that can be changed, it needs checking before you can really trust the thingies, so having a handheld one myself saves a lot of time. Unless of course other instruments have to be calibrated through the menues of the fixed installed GPS (arrghhhhh!!!!) and are completely misadjusted when you take the boat over.

I did consider a handheld VHF as a backup, but didn't like to spend the money for an item I will hardly ever use.

Further than the above I do not believe in replacing mechanics with electronics. I like paper charts with divider and pencil, magnetic handbearing compasses etc. I believe the more complicated and integrated your electronics are, the more trouble they are on a boat. Downloading firmware updates into a handheld chartplotter because of whatever programming mistake was made by the producer that needs to be rectified? Not if I can avoid it.

paladin
10-23-2004, 03:20 PM
does my flashlight count?.........

WindHawk
10-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have any experience using a lightining detector?

paladin
10-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Only in an airplane.....