PDA

View Full Version : Help decipher 3 way valve

Dave Forsman
08-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I have recently finished a 8 month re-build of a glass and wood trawler. I swear that an all wood boat would had been no more work. I can't figure out the fuel valve. Since this is diesel, and I would like to use the boat more than one time before I foul things up (like getting air into the lines and having to bleed injectors). http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pfec4df5dec7fc4af5916c1396d01a6d9/fb510129.jpg ).

If I didn't know better, I would think that somebody re-positioned the handle, as the handle as shown (in the 3 o'clock position) is feeding off the port tank (which has it's inlet at the bottom of the valve). The handle will move clockwise to 6 o'clock, and counter clockwise to about 11 o'clock from it's current position before it runs into the cabin sole framing.

The inlet for the starboard tank is horizontal facing right, and the outlet to the fuel filter is horizontal facing left.

This is a fairly common valve, and I was hoping somebody who has one could give me some guidence. I would really like to know where to position the handle to feed from the starboard tank. Maybe the "off" location is not important as the tanks are below the valve. I realize I need to replace the fuel lines and could figure out the valve then, but would like to put that off for a few weeks.

Dave

Ron Williamson
08-22-2003, 11:24 AM
I would guess that the outlet is supposed to be at the bottom,the two inlets on the sides.The handle should point at the line in use.
Have fun
R

merc412
08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Not to be a pain in the as* but is that marine grade hose? I don't see a green stripe.

Dave Forsman
08-22-2003, 08:40 PM
I am beginning to believe that they swapped an outlet for an inlet due to the location of the valve.

It isn't marine grade hose, one of the reasons it is going to get replaced as well as the fact it is kind of ratty looking. The boat was built in Finland, but I suspect the current hose dates from a re-powereing that was done about 10 years ago.

My wife says why not buy all new stuff? So much time and money has been poured into the boat that what is the difference now. Of course you need to know when to stop (or at least slow down).

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-22-2003, 08:55 PM
replace the works with fuel grade ball valves and marine grade fuel hose. make it easy to see and service. ;)