PDA

View Full Version : Schooner Garibaldi

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 07:54 PM
The photos not the greatest, but here is one of g-grandfather's boats. She's a scow-schooner with a very shallow draft for access to Anchor Bay in Lake St. Clair. He bought the wood (big ole' white pine: they were only built to last for 15 or so years, but many made it to 30) from my Mother's other grandfather, who had a shipyard & sawmill in Fair Haven. I have been very lucky in life to know these boats, but no Great Lake Schooner surivied past 1920, or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/WindHawk/garibaldi.jpg

Concordia..41
08-26-2004, 08:11 PM
I know this wasn't built as a racing boat, but I can't help but smile at the picture of the helmsman on the lead boat as he looks over his shoulder at THAT closing on his stern.

Equally amusing is the thought of "fanning" anyone so impertinent as to try to sneak in and cover your aft quarter :D

[ 08-26-2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Now that I know a very little bit about sailing, I'm looking at this photo, and I'm confused about what's going on. Look at the size of that mizzen boom!

All of my uncles, and my father, taught me about motorboats. They evetually all went to aluminum instead of wood. Fishing & duck hunting was what they liked to do, so wood was just too much to maintain. Me, I like wood, but they did know thier stuff, so there was a reason to abandon it. My grandfather was a shipwright, as was his father. I don't have those skills, but what is going on here? They are professional sailors, so I have to believe they're doing it right, but the sails just don't look right.

WindHawk
08-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Just noticed your message, Concordia (probably the most beautiful boat in the world!). I don't think she was too fast, but if she fanned your deck, a quick swim would be most necessary!

Stiletto
08-26-2004, 11:57 PM
I think there is very little wind in that photo,(very small ripples on the water) the sails look like they arent drawing much, although I think there is a little bow wave to be seen, so that big spread of canvas is doing its job.

WindHawk
08-27-2004, 04:44 AM
Here's her dimesions, It's hard to believe she had that much sail on 78 feet:

Schooner Garibaldi: 78 foot, 53 ton Schooner built in 1869 at New Liverpool, Mich. by Hammond. Owners: William Baker, New Baltimore, Mich.; H.H. Olson; John G. Johnson; Christ Pedersen.

The Garibaldi was sunk in Lake Michigan on April 16th, 1880, but was towed to Chicago and repaired. It is listed in the Polk directory for 1884 as being a B2 rated scow owned by Paul Revaird of Mt. Clemens. The enrollment for the boat did not end until 1925. See the text, Schooners in Peril: true and exciting stories about tall ships on the Great Lakes, by James L. Donahue, for extensive details.

She was finnaly sunk in 1926 (I think this date is wrong) in the St. Clair River for the footings of a dock. If the date is correct, she lasted one heck of a long time. I have been on the dock, but I think it must be gone now. What a sad end to one very powerfull boat.

Evidently, Garibaldi, the Itailian dictator, was once a sailor. From what I know about my g-grandfather, William Baker, Sr., using the name of an upstart dictator was right up his style.

[ 08-27-2004, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: WindHawk ]

Oyvind Snibsoer
08-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Actually, Garibaldi was a very popular boat name at the time. At least one, and there may have been several, of Colin Archer's pilot boats was named Garibaldi by their owners. I believe he was regarded as a liberation hero by his contemporaries. Colin Archer's Garibaldi was known as an exceptionally fast and well handling boat, BTW.

George.
08-27-2004, 05:29 AM
She looks like she dropped the peak on the foresail and is getting set to lower it. The main and jib are drawing, the staysail looks limp - maybe not enough wind to lift its boom.

WindHawk
08-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks, George. It's amazing that it's possible to tell what's going on a sailboat from a picture over 100 years old. I'd be a bit afraid of her in good weather, in a big blow... :eek: