PDA

View Full Version : White Squall: The Rest of the Story

WindHawk
10-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Last August there was a thread about the film "White Squall". It's a pretty good movie, but yesterday I read a short story by Earnest K. Gann, "Epilogue" in a collection of stories "The Greatest Sailing Stories Ever Told" edited by Chris Caswell. It is the epilogue to a book called "Song of the Sirens."

It turns out that Gann, who's probably best known for writing the book "Fate is the Hunter," owned the ship, The Albatros, that was the subject of the movie "White Squall" prior to selling it to Capt. Sheldon. This was news to me.

Both the movie and the short story are worth a look. I've never read anything by Gann, but the writing in the epilogue was great. Essentially, he goes into a depression over the loss of his old boat, and of his friend Capt. Sheldon's wife as well as the four students when they encounter the storm. He is then is restored by... Ah, that would be telling too much.

Ian McColgin
10-10-2005, 06:03 AM
For more of Gann on Albatross and other boats, get his "Song of the Sirens."

Among other things, he goes over rerigging her. Then get "Tall Ships Down" for some wondering about how much the rerigging had to do with her sinking.

jaburgin
10-10-2005, 08:07 AM
fasinating! you have my curiosity up now! thank you.

Thad
10-10-2005, 08:25 AM
In SONG OF THE SIRENS Gann states his theory of the international dock committee, also mentioned in his fiction. The theory is that whenever you enter or leave a port, wherever it is in the world, whatever the time of day or night, someone will be watching. I liked the book but I especially liked that part. I have been done my part whenever possible. Not long ago we were walking the dog up to the fort at the mouth of the harbor and met a fisherman we know coming away, "You can take over" he said, acknowledging the changing watch.