PDA

View Full Version : Weekender Weekend update

cs
10-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Well I'm fighting the onset of cold weather and trying to get my weekender ready for a layer of cloth before than. Well I got one step closer today (with the help of my wife). We managed to get the bow gussets in and the mast box and the starboard side on. I still have to trim off the excess ply on the, but it is on. Hopefully if the weather cooparates tommorow I should be able to get the port side on, if not maybe next weekend. After the sides are on I will start sanding and faring and than get a layer of cloth on and hopefully a single coat of paint to help make it through the winter. Attached below is a before and after photo.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/F1/C5/13584625-32b6-028001E0-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/D8/C4/13584600-c4b3-028001E0-.jpg

The Rest (http://members6.clubphoto.com/chad414100/654652/guest.phtml)

Enough work for today, now to go watch "Shrek" (again).

Chad

Mr. Know It All
10-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures. Appears you've made some headway Chad. What kind of wood ya using?
Kevin in Ohio

capt jake
10-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Hey Chad! I didn't know you were building a Weekender! I am awaiting the cloth order so that I can put on the glass on the bottom of mine, hopefully next week.

Very cool! smile.gif

JimD
10-20-2002, 11:15 PM
Chad, looin' like a dory bottomed friendship sloop! I've only seen the weekender in the ads for it. Sure is fine looking vessel. Have you got the color scheme narrowed down to 10 or 12 choices? :D
jimd

Jack Heinlen
10-20-2002, 11:53 PM
Jim,

I sailed one this summer with Joe Dupere, a sometimes poster here. It was wider in the bottom than most dories, more a sharpie(at least to my eye)...with a massive keel stem structure, as apparent in the photos.

Fun, and by some happen stance, Joe has the one Weekender accepted into the Friendship Sloop Society. A quirk of early formation, or sumpthin'.

Joe will tell you, they are a bit wet, to windward in the chop of a breezed up lake. He's right!

Jack

Joe (SoCal)
10-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Looking good Chad :D Im getting jealous I got to hit the Boat barn and stop sailing that Little Dingy and get going on my PC and restoring that Ebay weekender. But between the honey do list and reading all the post here and any nice day getting in the water - Annette is still on the top of the Benz I just drive around all the time with the spars sticking out the window ready to sail at any time smile.gif

cs
10-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Well I even managed to get the port side on yesterday, so now she has her clothes on. Now to start filling & faring.

I've used Southern Yellow Pine for the keel and I'm using ACX plywood for the upper & lower deck. The sides are 1/4" exterior luan. The decks and sides will be covered with a layer of 5.5 oz cloth. I will use Doug Fir for the mast and spars. And will probably use the Mahg. for the rudder and cleats. The wheel I made from Mahg. I will have a dacron sail. Whether or not I make that or have it made is dependent on how the wife feels when it comes that time.

Color Scheme? Been fighting that one. I really like the green and burgondy scheme I used on my sharpie, but can't do 2 the same way. So I've thought about blue but there seems to be a lot in that color. I've also thrown around the idea of yellow and blue. So to answer your question, No I haven't even narrowed it down to 12 choices yet.

Joe I wished I had your barn. You reckon you could pack it up and ship it to me?

Thought I would put this on here, my wife said I wouldn't do it so that means I will do it. I had her helping me put the sides on and while I was applying the epoxy on the stringers she was watching me. She was getting frustrated with my haphazzard way of applying epoxy so she took it away from me. She was nice and neat and put it on just right. So I now have an official epoxy applicator in the form of my wife. See I knew my techinique would eventually pay off. ;)

Chad

Paul Griffin
10-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Chad

Go ahead and make your sail, it is well worth it. The girlfriend and I got our kit from sailrite and spend a few weekends making it. It was a great learning experience. Now if I can just get to agree to do the sail for our 26' Bristal Channel Cuttter. :D

Paul

cs
10-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Paul she made the new sail for my sharpie and between her machine not being man enough and not really enough flat space to lay it out I think she wants someone else to do it. If I bought her one of those sail-rite machines she would probably do it.

I learned while she was sewing the sharpie sail not to under-estimate the importance of a walking foot.

Chad

reddog
10-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Paul;
Did you have any luck in your wood search?
Earl

Paul Griffin
10-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Earl

I'm going to get the Oak from C.J. Charles in the states. I can't find anyone in Canada that can get large Oak. I'm getting 730 brd ft at 1.75 US. I think that's an okay price. He is going to box the heart. I wish I could see it before it ships.

Chad

We sewed the sail without a walking foot and had no problems.

Paul

Ron Williamson
10-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Paul
You should call Edgewood Lumber in Hawkesville or Ron Schuchknect(sp?),a lumber broker in Hanover.Edgewood is run by Mennonites,who were good to deal with.
have fun
R

Bruce Taylor
10-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the picture, Chad. I was wondering how the Weekender was coming along.

I've never seen inside one.

So you still have googe-friendly weather down there, eh? There was ice in the bilge of my skiff this morning.

cs
10-23-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping to have "googe-friendly" weather for a little while longer, but just in case I ordered some "cold weather" epoxy from RAKA this morning. He said it was good down to 40 degrees.

Paul we tried to sew the lug sail and her machine just really didn't handle it well. It is old and about worn out.

Chad