PDA

View Full Version : Creative Powerboating

WindHawk
10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
In the picture is worth a thousand words catagory:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/WindHawk/boat-cliff-truck.jpg

Joe Dupere
10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
You know, I've seen that picture before, but never noticed the driver is still in the truck. And there seems to be a couple of women standing next to the boat, with a big rock between them and the cliff. Just in the right place to be knocked over the side of the cliff it the boat starts sliding. This looks like an accident waiting to happen to an accident. Kinda makes me want to know how it all ended up. Or down as the case may be. smile.gif

Joe

Gary E
10-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Looks to me that the truck driver was the idiot, and that boat with it's heavy sterndrive engine saved his azz from a ride further downhill... a skiny lightweight sailboat would followed him..

Stiletto
10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
A good ad for that trailer hitch and its safety chain. :eek:

Ric_Bergstrom
10-21-2005, 09:29 PM
It's a Bayliner....

See they ARE good for something!!!

Ric

Badley Built
10-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Now THAT is a real mans boat ramp!

RonB.

N. Scheuer
10-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Isn't this situation precisely why he bought 4WD in the first place?

Moby Nick

AlanL
10-23-2005, 03:48 PM
It's a Bayliner....

See they ARE good for something!!! As a mooring block for trucks tongue.gif :D :D

WindHawk
10-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Obviously, a cell-phone user. Do you think he might have been putting on his mascara as well?

John Turpin
10-25-2005, 09:58 AM
I guess that pressing issue of where to get ice isn't that important all the sudden.

Victor
10-25-2005, 10:04 AM
This is probably Rt. 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. This type of thing actually happens quite often out there. Note the absence of guardrails, that's part of its appeal. I once came upon a biker sitting by the side of the road in his leathers. Stopped to ask where his bike was. "Down there", he said, pointing to a Gold Wing about 100 feet down the cliff.

Rick Tyler
10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Could be Route 1, but looking at the vegatation I would guess farther inland. I wish the picture of that evergreen was clearer.

My first thought is that this would become a magazine ad photo for the trailer hitch manufacturer.

Alan D. Hyde
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
So has anyone figured out just where and when this happened, and what eventuated????

Alan

ion barnes
10-31-2005, 11:49 PM
I saw this picture last year while surfing images on Google. Wish I had noted the website. If someone could id the boat registration #...Location wise, I thought it could be the Fraser River Canyon in beautiful BC, Canada.

I kept a copy of the pic for our boating classes to illustrate 'the weakest link'. So what part has the greatest potential for failure? the bolts holding the receiver to the truck frame? The hitch? The trailer tongue?

Bruce Hooke
11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Unless the photographer was using a very long lense, which, based on the perspective of the photograph, I don't think he was, or in a chopper, and I see no evidence of the dust a chopper would kick up in such a situation, it seems like the bottom of the slope the truck is on was maybe not THAT far out of the picture frame...

gert
11-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Darwinism.

Bruce Hooke
11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
I know it's not as fun, but it is maybe worth keeping in mind that he might have ended up in that situation because, say, he swerved to avoid another vehicle that was driving eratically, or someone on a motorcycle, or even a child who ran out into the road...

gert
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Na; don't beleive it for a second. I've watched these "alpha males" on the water; they drive the same way.

WindHawk
11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
My sister once parallel parked a '67 Mercury between two other cars on a side street, and ended up facing the wrong direction on a one way street as she swerved & slamed on the brakes to avoid hitting a dog.

I'm not buying the "swerved to save a child" concept. She deserved extra points for style, but I don't ride passenger with my her anymore either!

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Ric_Bergstrom:
It's a Bayliner....

See they ARE good for something!!!

RicYea, a truck anchor. ;)

brad9798
11-03-2005, 07:44 PM
HEY! Bayliner kicks ass, if that's the kind of boat you like!

It AMAZES me the arrogance and downright snobbiness of some boat owners when it comes to the likes of Bayliner, et al.

HELL- Bayliner covers at least 80% of the glass boats in the PNC!

I love wood ... but I love BOATS ...

Definitely a sTRONG trailer hitch ...

But wooden boat lovers dissing crap 'just because' is a pretty poor representation of who we REALLY ARE!

redface.gif

Katherine
11-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Brad, the thing bears a striking resemblence to my clothing iron. I really have nothing asgainst fiberglass, but can it at least have some style?

brad9798
11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Agreed, Katherine.

But they have made some decent looking boats ... although not recently.

Katherine
11-04-2005, 11:28 AM
In the Bayliner's defense, it did save it's owner's bacon. :D

James River Rat
11-04-2005, 12:22 PM
HEY....I know....I have one!

Always runs great. Definitely built down to a price, but it does exactly what I expect it to with no issues. It is a 1999 2452 Ciera.

But it is for sale...since I am a sailor at heart and need to get down to one boat. (A FIBERGLASS Alberg 35 at that!!!)

I hang out here since I like to see what the woodies are building....I may build something myself one day!! Or restore a snipe, or build a dinghy, or just learn lots of great stuff in the bilge or at least be humored by the madness!

Ric

Originally posted by brad9798:
HEY! Bayliner kicks ass, if that's the kind of boat you like!

It AMAZES me the arrogance and downright snobbiness of some boat owners when it comes to the likes of Bayliner, et al.

HELL- Bayliner covers at least 80% of the glass boats in the PNC!

I love wood ... but I love BOATS ...

Definitely a sTRONG trailer hitch ...

But wooden boat lovers dissing crap 'just because' is a pretty poor representation of who we REALLY ARE!

redface.gif

brad9798
11-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I should have said although not MANY good looking ones recently ... there are some still.

Alan D. Hyde
11-07-2005, 10:34 AM
bump.

Alan