PDA

View Full Version : Amerisa's Cup tonight?

Raven 271
02-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Monday,Feb 24,2003,6:57pm EST. . .is the America's Cup taking place today(or tonight)?
Is it on the tube?

Wild Wassa
02-24-2003, 06:13 PM
I read that racing has been oficially cancelled today. Due to high winds. The TV coverage is on on ESPN, Fox Sport.

This is the 5th race day in a row that the race (race 4) has been cancelled. For the last 4 race days, too little wind, but today too much. 22kts is enough for the race not to start, today it's peaking to 36kts. They won't start a race if the wind is under 8kts either.

Warren.

ps, ... and just to make it really disappointing, Aukland is in for gale force winds for the next 2-3 days. One day they will have a race, :D .

[ 02-24-2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

John B
02-24-2003, 06:54 PM
A small point W***a ,most people don't realise. There is no wind limit in the actual cup. The louis Vuitton had those limits as part of an agreement amongst the challengers.
As far as the actual cup they can sail in any breeze with the only constraints being "a fair race" and safety.
IE 70 degree wind shifts on a windward leeward course is not fair or is subject to too much luck.
oops I mean l**k.

Doug Wood
02-24-2003, 09:37 PM
I heard it was blowing up to 40 knots, which is not particularly safe for these boats.

John Bell
02-24-2003, 10:21 PM
There's been a lot of grousing by non-participants that the challengers all agreed not to race in winds over 22-25 knots (I can't remember the exact speed.) I didn't have a problem for the speed limit myself. The underlying reasons made sense to me, anyway.

TNZ always said the actual Cup match would not be subject to same limits. In reality, I don't think TNZ had any more intention to race in 25-30 knots than did the challengers. The threat was simply a bit of gamesmanship on the defenders part.

Ironically, the one race they ran in big winds was a disaster for TNZ. First they filled the boat with water during the pre-start, then they broke their boom, and finally blew out their jib and headfoil, all before they rounded the first mark of the first race. So much for racing in big winds, eh?

Match racing in 30 knots of wind in overpowered open dayracers, boats that have no abililty to reef even, would be irresponsible in my opinion. There's too much of a chance to get folks hurt or worse. It's just a sailboat race. It's not worth getting someone killed over.

John B
02-25-2003, 01:48 PM
As an interesting aside, The interview with Olin Stevens which ran one of the light days had a comment about the J class racing... to paraphrase.... 'it was a good day we got in with no one injured.'......
They weren't safe boats then and they aren't exactly conservative now.

Latest weather news is that the system may go over faster than expected and there is a possibility of racing tommorrow (THURS NZ)and a very good chance of friday(NZ Time)