PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Update

Gary Bergman
11-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Getting closer to closing the boat deal. Is the weather to far gone for boat hauler in Ontario and vicinity??

Dave Hadfield
11-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Sorry Gary, are you hauling OUT from a port around here? Lake Ontario and Erie should pretty much be still ice free. Ice is forming in the shallows now in Georgian Bay, Lake Huron.

Not much time left -- we've got 2 inches of snow on the ground where I live, 60 miles north of Toronto. But it's still just do-able, I'd say. What port is it?

Ron Williamson
11-29-2002, 05:25 AM
Kingston or something isn't it?
Peter Malcolm should have a pretty good idea.
I'd say that you've got about three weeks before it gets ugly.(It's already messy) :rolleyes:
R

Paul Griffin
11-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Get the dog sleds ready! :D

Gary Bergman
11-29-2002, 10:59 AM
It's already hauled and on a trailer N.E. of Kingston, in Iroquois, but will need to rent a crane to put on another trailer as I am guessing that the travelift is down for the season. Might take a couple more weeks to wrap the loan process up. That might just blow it for this year, but I'm hoping not.Waiting till spring will eat me up.

Ron Williamson
11-30-2002, 07:14 AM
Gary
A quick phone call to the marina(?) would confirm the travelift.My guess is that the place would still be pretty busy,winterizing and stuff before the weather gets worse.
R

Gary Bergman
11-30-2002, 10:58 AM
kewl. I should know by the end of the next week.

G. Schollmeier
11-30-2002, 11:15 AM
As long as the boat is out already, you should have no problem. Life goes on in the northland, January or July, not much difference, except in January we have no bugs and we fish through a hole.
Gary :D

Gary Bergman
11-30-2002, 01:50 PM
I'm mostly weather watching in regards to the boat haulers. The day will come soon when they won't haul overheight and over wide northern loads. Also, for crane time.My dryland home when I'm not living aboard is in the Dakotas, so I unnerstand 'winter gear'.I live lakeside and walk where my fishing boat went in the summer. Got tired of trying to get big Northerns thru little holes.....

[ 11-30-2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Gary Bergman ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-30-2002, 06:17 PM
You're all right Gary....Really as long as the highway is clean and dry, there's not a problem. its been messy, as has been said, but not unmanageable. Hey... if I was in a marina with a travellift instead of a crane I could see myself going for little run on a sunny day still.. :D

Gary Bergman
12-01-2002, 09:51 AM
I guess if I break it down completely, my fear is snow accumulation between the vessels, the path between, and even coverage over the boat hindering masts, spars, etc. on the bottom of existing trailers. Being a crane guy myself, I know there are some things that can be done and some that can't after snow and freezing happen. The marina is rural and tiny(at least to me.} Staghorn sumac and small trees surround vessels limiting access even during good weather. Guess I'm hoping for no accumulation fo a while. :confused: