PDA

View Full Version : Question about Rub rails

cs
10-21-2002, 11:03 AM
I've attached a photo I found of somebody's weekender that shows the rub rails.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OwAAAFwV5HbYP9M7vxFUu0CTBHeLd4f7is3sqSBsmVuhZJWk6 yYl6IsU5Tp7Kbp9qiLRv40GJcXJHlwA8KAmY*xPnf1bkHNB/Callisto2.jpg

If you notice there is 2 rub rails about 12" or so apart. These rub rails are attached to the hull sides full length.

What I'm thinking is to just do the rub rail at the top and instead of it laying flat agaisn't the sides full length I would like to add blocks (about 3/4" high) every 12" and attach the rub rail to this.

Whatcha think?

Chad

John R Smith
10-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Chad

why do you want to space the rubbing-strake off the topsides? If you do this

1. It is much more likely to get broken if you bash into something, because it no longer has the support of the hull.

2. It will be really difficult to paint behind it.

Just my two-pennorth.

John

Memphis Mike
10-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Be a lot more clamping and glueing Chad. ;)

cs
10-21-2002, 12:13 PM
One of the reasons is astetics (sp?). I think it would look pretty good and it would also give you a more places to tie lines to if needed.

As far as gluing and clamping I would just glue the spacers on and than screw the rub rail to that. If I need to replace the rub rail or paint behind it it would be a simple matter to un-screw the rail and remove it.

Chad

JimD
10-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Chad, you mean so it would be sort of like a bulwark and not so much a rub rail/toe rail? It might be a nice touch aesthetically, but then again it might look a little too fancy on a small boat and you could end up regretting getting so dandy. It would definitely be more vulneralble to damage, but if the rail is above the gunwale it will drain water off the side decks instead of trapping water the way the lip of a standard rub rail does. That's a nice looking weekender by the way
jimd

Paul Scheuer
10-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Nice looking Weekender, Callisto. Even if the "extra" rub rail is decorative, I like it. It helps with the otherwise "slab-sided" look. I'm going to ponder that trailboard for a while. I might have done it differently, but who am I to say ? On my other-material boat it follows the curve of the sheer, with canted characters.

If the question is about an open-gunnel effect(horizontal spacers), I'd space them closer than 12 inches for strength per the concern noted above. If its a pin rail effect (vertical spacers), I'd say forget it (IMHO).

(This sort of reminds me of the which way is up thread)

[ 10-21-2002, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Paul Scheuer ]