PDA

View Full Version : African Queen on e-bay

register101
11-17-2002, 08:15 PM
On ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872573781)

Mr. Know It All
11-17-2002, 08:26 PM
What an interesting boat. Makes me wish I was wealthy enough to bid on her. Any idea what happened to the original "African Queen"?
Kevin in Ohio

register101
11-17-2002, 08:30 PM
One of Hollywood's legendary movies took place aboard a rusty, dilapidated boat called the African Queen. Humphrey Bogart as gin-guzzling Charlie Allnutt and Katharine Hepburn as his strait-laced passenger, Rose Sayer, wended their way down the Ulanga and Bora rivers on the African Queen during World War I.

The movie is now 49 years old and a classic. But the boat used in the film is 88 years old, built in 1912 for the British East Africa Railway Company. Today, it no longer plies the turbulent rivers in Central Africa, but resides in the safety of the Holiday Inn Marina in Key Largo.

The 30-foot steamer's original name was the Livingstone, after the famed 19th-century African missionary explorer. It saw service hauling supplies and passengers on the Victorian Nile and Lake Albert, located on the border of present-day Uganda.

In 1951, the Livingstone was discovered on Lake Albert in Uganda by an English art director working under John Huston, the noted director. Huston was planning to make a movie based on the 1935 C. S. Forester novel, The African Queen, and the Livingstone seemed the ideal deteriorating tramp steamer to star in his production. Huston trucked the Livingstone to the Congo movie set and renamed it for his film production. And the rest of the story is celluloid history.

At the end of the movie, the African Queen goes down. But in reality, the vessel remained in Africa for about 20 years before being spotted by an American film buff and brought to California as a tourist attraction.

In 1982, Jim Hendricks purchased the African Queen for $65,000, and has kept it moored at the Holiday Inn, which he once owned, at Mile Marker 100 in Key Largo, Florida. The African Queen no longer conveys the likes of Rosie Sayer or Charlie Allnutt, but instead glides along the marina's waters carrying film devotees, nostalgia seekers, and curious tourists.

In May 1990, Hendricks transported the African Queen to the English Channel to participate in the 50th anniversary commemorative activities of the Dunkirk evacuation. Two months later, the historic vessel appeared in the parade of ships reviewed by the Queen Mother on her 90th birthday.

. The African Queen has traveled around the world twice (transported on freighters to various destinations), raising funds for museums, medical research, educational facilities, and numerous other causes.

But the African Queen reigns supreme in Key Largo. It is a relic from British imperial forays into the African interior, the star of a Hollywood classic, and a piece of history lovingly preserved by Jim Hendricks.

gunnar I am
11-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Too shiny and lacks a plumb stem.,original or not

Mrleft8
11-17-2002, 11:24 PM
Last I heard... The "real" "Africa Queen" was in Essex CT. Available for river trips on the Connecticut river up to Haddam dam and down to Saybrook.... This was a few years ago... The boat pictured is a pale imitation...

Mr. Know It All
11-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D Building a steam powered wooden boat is quite a feat in my book and he used good wood.
Kevin in Ohio

Concordia..41
11-18-2002, 09:56 AM
This is not the first or probably the last copy of the African Queen built in Key Largo. Back in the early 70’s a more realistic copy was built in Key Largo at County Line Marina. It was built by a gentleman name David, don’t remember his last name, it may have been Westphal.

Dave

Bayboat
11-26-2002, 04:15 PM
This is a little off the point, but mention of the book and movie jogs my memory of a great line uttered by Rosie. Allnut produces a loud hangover belch. He apologizes to Rosie, saying that after all it's only natural. Rosie stiffens up and says, "Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we were put on earth to rise above!"

JimD
11-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Yes, I remember the line. My favourite was from the Kaiser's captain of the gunboat Louisa when he agreed to marry Rosie and Charlie; 'I now pronounce you man and wife. Procede with the execution.

PatCassidy
11-27-2002, 11:18 AM
What do the African Queens's Charlie (Humphrey Bogart) and Horatio Hornblower have in common besides being captains of their vessels?

ishmael
11-27-2002, 11:24 AM
Creations of the same mind, C.S. Forester.