PDA

View Full Version : Free Charts

Mike Vogdes
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Maptechs contract with NOAA has expired and the Maptech BSB charts are now available for free..

Check it out.

http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/

uncas
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I know that you can download these charts but 8x10's just don't make the grade...Can't see myself shuffling through 20-30 charts for Penobscot Bay...Also, I'd have to get a new perscription for my glasses
What am I missing...Do I download and then go to a shop and enlarge them? With the money spent, may as well buy one of the $119.00 books of charts.

dmede
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
these are for electronic use, not printing (though you could if you wanted to). Intended to be used with appropriate viewing software or in conjunction with a GPS enabled computer.

I've been wanting to get my hands on these for a while but unwilling to pay the price. this is great... thanks mike!

uncas
11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
dmede..thanks for the explanation..Guess I'll just skip it...
Always did wonder though...

dmede
11-07-2005, 06:48 PM
uncas, they have a free chart viewer available on that site as well, if your interested. might be nice, simply for planning purposes, to have a digital copy of your most used charts.

dave

[ 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: dmede ]

uncas
11-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Dav...gottra point..Will be planning a trip to Nova Scotia next summer for the boat show...

joejapan
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Mike, I used your link, went to the site, registered, received my e-mail authorization, returned, downloaded several charts for the PNW area, downloaded the program to view them, installed it all, and had a ball ! :cool:

Thanks ! smile.gif

BUT, I tried to return to get a chart I missed, and I can't connect to the site. :(

I've tried using your link but I get the dreaded white page, I tried using the main access page and I get the same thing. I tried to go to Maptech's main site but it didn't come up either. :confused:

I found a cookie, removed it, tried to return, but it still won't open. :rolleyes:

What am I doing wrong ? :mad:

Guess I'll wait 'till it comes back up or someone else can let me know if they too have trouble.

dmede
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
joe, same issue here. I think they may just be down - crashed server etc...

Try them again tomorrow.

---

Wait... I am now able to get onto MapTech no prob but the link above returns a "No web site is configured at this address" error. Maybe they killed the link? :confused:

I hope not, I wanted so much more!! :D

[ 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: dmede ]

kc8pql
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
The BSB charts are raster charts. Vector charts are also avaliable free from NOAA, Office of Coast Survey as are Coast Pilots, Pilot Charts ect. Big advantage of vector charts over raster is that updates can be downloaded as well,so you can always have the most current chart.
Office of Coast Survey (http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm)

Edited to add : The BSB charts will soon be avaliably directly from NOAA too. No regisration, passwords or commercial crap to deal with.

[ 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: kc8pql ]

ron ll
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I think the site was down for a bit at some point, seems to be functioning fine now tho. I use Maptech as my primary navigation software so these charts load right into it. Yesterday I downloaded all the charts for Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. I was amazed to find that these are far more current than the ones I had been using. One chart in the Islands I checked had a date of July, 2005 for production of the paper version. It seems that they are all the very latest versions.

capt jake
11-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, that's a bummer. It requires Windows 2000 or XP. :( I knew I would have to upgrade someday. Still love the stability of 98SE, so I keep running it.

kc8pql
11-08-2005, 09:01 PM
captjake,

Go here and download the Demo program. It's a full function navagation program that runs fine on all W98 versions and will run about any chart format out there including Maptech BSB. Global Navigation Software (http://www.globenav.com/)

capt jake
11-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Ya beat me to it! smile.gif I went ahead and tried loading it and it works fine!

What a wonderful thing!

Thanks folks!. smile.gif

joejapan
11-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Yesterday afternoon I got tired of waiting for the freeboatingcharts server to work again. :mad:

I looked around and found the map server and decide to download several maps. smile.gif

Well, even though they were kinda' big, I used my cursor to highlight several areas and used my Ctrl key to select them for download. :cool:

I just left the computer on 'cause my high speed DSL connection will automatically disconnect when it's through downloading, and I went to bed. ;)

I woke up this morning to find that I'd apparently used the Shift key and I now have several hundred charts covering most of the U.S. coasts from Adak, Alaska to San Diego, from Yucatan around the Gulf of Mexico to Miami, Miami to the Chesapeake Bay and from the Chesapeake Bay to the Canadian Border, complete with the enjoining high resolution charts. :eek:

I wanted some charts to play with and learn how to use the software.....guess I've got 'em now! :D