PDA

View Full Version : Townsend 30

Chuck Hancock
06-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey again. Has anyone ever heard of a design called a "Townsend 30"? Mine is an example of such and I've been trying to flesh out it's history. What I have so far is that it's a stretched version of a Herreshoff H-28 rigged as a cutter (double headsail sloop in my opinion). Most, if not all, have glass hulls but are completely wood from the sheerline up, spars included. They were built in or near Port Hadlock, Washington in the late 70's/early 80's, and only perhaps a dozen hulls ever came of the mold. I ran into a gal at Townsend Riggers, in Pt. Townsend a while back and she was aquainted with my boat as she had been working with Carole Hasse at the time and had helped make the set of sails for it. She said, "oh yeah, that was 'fiberglass George' who did those.." but she couldn't remember George's last name. She thinks he's still around, but isn't sure where. Can any of you add to this story? Thanks again.

Bruce Keefauver
06-13-2003, 03:44 PM
It might be a Cape George 31 built by Cecil Lange & Son. If so the design work was done by Tim Nolan who is still in business in Port Townsend.

Carl Applebaum
06-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Mac: I have seen Townsend 30's out of the water, and the hull definitely looks like a development of the H28. Nothing at all like a Cape George. Why not simply ask Carol Hasse herself at PT Sails? I would think that a few phone calls around PT should track down the information.

By the way, I see that you're writing from Olympia. I'm from there also, and have a wooden H28 ketch at Martin Marina. Also, I know another guy here doing a complete rebuild on an H28. It might be interesting to get together.