PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoils on JUNKYARD WARS!!

Lowell Bernhardt
12-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Just remembered, did anyone else happen to stay up until 3:00am the day after Thanksgiving to watch the JYW finals? It came down to an American team of millrights(sp) and a british team of somethings? Anyway, their task was to build a hydrofoil that they had to, of course, race aganist the other team.

Long story short, the Americans lost by default because their Volkswagon motor died.

Seeing this got me to thinking, well, then my A.D.D. kicked in and.......... Have any of you ever played around with a hydrofoil?

I'm not really planning on trying to build one, well, OK, maybe somewhere down the line. ;) I'm amazed at the physics behind them even though it's pretty simple. I have read that there are stories of a 12' skiff doing 25MPH witha 5 HP motor.

Best
Lowell

David N.
12-05-2002, 09:22 PM
try www.foils.org (http://www.foils.org) , and be prepared , have your snacks , and a cool one handy . Lots of links , plans , history and pictures . I thought it was the " Sokol" 485 tonnes , 65 knot , russian sub chaser .
Amercian millwrights with a vw , they should of lost!.

ion barnes
12-05-2002, 10:39 PM
'millwrights with a VW' I dont have a problem with any part of that combination. Never met a millwright or a VW I could not work with.

brian.cunningham
12-05-2002, 11:29 PM
and me w/o cable.

I plan on "trying" hydrofoils on SWIFTWOOD.

So how did they sail?

Pete Dorr
12-06-2002, 09:34 AM
http://www.lairdhamilton.com/pictures/images/22.jpg

I saw a video of Laird Hamilton (http://www.lairdhamilton.com) surfing on this contraption. Looked cool. The premise is that you can surf without a breaking wave (not what he's doing in the picture). You do need a tow to get up on the foil.

GROOVY
12-06-2002, 01:26 PM
I did ,,I think it was from last season though..
Mulewrights? I think it took way more than 10 hours to build ....

David N.
12-06-2002, 08:46 PM
have to admit , I did not watch the show , gave away my tv's years ago . If it was not for the air-cooled part ( unless it was a porche )I would taken a different engine . I'am helping build two experimental air-craft and the small one had a rotac ( vw ), it went TU after 200 hrs , replaced it with a 4 cyl. turboed ( with intercooler ) subaru , the bigger plane has a 6 cyl. twin turboed ( ic ) subaru ( 300+ hp ) . Of course an out board with a long shaft would do the trick , or even a motorcycle engine . Ya run whatcha brung !! .
Never meet a millwright I didn't like , used to get a pay check , to wear that hat !!

Hugh Paterson
12-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Theres an Aluminimum foil on Loch Lomond, or at least was until quite recently used as a fast passenger ferry, Russian built job held about 10 pax plus the skipper, went like a bat out of hell
until the front foil whacked any driftwood when it tried to do a "voyage to the bottom of the sea"
and a good impression of a boomer crash diving. One of our skippers used to drive this beast, one of the best small boat skippers I know and it scared the living daylights out of him. There are also a few people use waterskis with small foils whacked on the bottom of them around here, they look an absolute scream when they fly past u a couple of feet out of the water, not had the urge to try one yet :D I Fancy building a hovercraft when ever I can find the time. I watch scrapheap challenge all the time what a laugh, anyone here in the UK fancy entering a team?
Shug