PDA

View Full Version : Anahuac, TX small boat festival Dec 10

almeyer
11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
The Scow Schooner Project is sponsoring a small craft festival on Saturday, Dec 10th in Anahuac, TX. Anahuac is located off Interstate 10 between Houston and Beaumont. It's a small event compared to shows like Madisonville, but I attended last year and the people were nice, as were the boats.
Al

Harborfest flyer (http://scowschooner.org/harborfest2005.htm)

photos from last year (http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2818175093)

Venchka
11-30-2005, 08:16 AM
:cool: If I'm not working or moving large heavy things, I'm in! It'll be nice to meet my wooden boat neighbors. Alas, Elisabeth Grace won't be there. Perhaps next year.

ps: I can also sample the chipped beef sandwich my brother was raving about last Sunday. tongue.gif

Wayne
Finally transplanted to Texas. :D

[ 11-30-2005, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Venchka ]

almeyer
11-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Shucks! I've seen a few pictures of Elizabeth Grace, would love to see her for real. But thank goodness you're okay. I'm bringing my little boat, try not to snicker.
Al

Venchka
11-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Your boat in person beats mine in a garage 250 miles away. Too much going on to go get her and bring her south. Besides, I don't think the boat+trailer would fit in the garage at the apartment.

Wayne
In Texas. :D

uncas
11-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Heck...I worked in Highlands for two years...the location draws a complete blank...must be one heck of a small town...

almeyer
11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah, it's a small town. More mosquitoes than people. Especially during the summer months.

Venchka
12-11-2005, 05:22 PM
As luck would have it, I got a frantic call Friday at work at 11am. My signature was required on a power of attorney at the Title Company's office. In Hawkins, TX. No worries! I walked into the office at 3:25.

I'm sorry I missed the event. How was it?

Wayne
Here & there in Texas. :D

almeyer
12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Wayne,
It was a nice event, but almost no people. Too many got scared away with the weather, which turned out to be not too bad. Temperature a little on the cool side (that depends, of course, on your definition of cool), cloudy and a little spit and drizzle, but at least the wind lay down. Went on a river run with some other folks; my Penobscot, a Pete Culler flat bottom skiff about 12-13', a flat bottom Gardner skiff about 16', a plywood kayak, and several plastic kayaks. Both the flat bottom skiffs were built using traditional construction; lapstrake sides and cross plank bottoms. Like an idiot I forgot my camera. Tried to sail the Culler skiff, it's got a sprit rig, but just barely enough wind for it to ghost along. Talked to the sponsors about having just a river run down the Trinity River instead of a festival; less work organizing and more fun.
Al

Edited to add: Hawkins is a real pretty part of the state. Is that where your new house is?

[ 12-11-2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: almeyer ]

skuthorp
12-12-2005, 02:52 AM
There's a small WB festival in a little coastal town called Tooradin just near where Mike Field lived. Very like Anahuac, but smaller. They started last year and even attracted a passing Dutchman (in Bass Straight) in his cruising yacht. The area is very tidal and he did well to get to the mouth of the river before being piloted to a mooring deep enough!

Venchka
12-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by almeyer:
...Edited to add: Hawkins is a real pretty part of the state. Is that where your new house is?Yup! The current house (to be sold) and the new house (closing this Thursday) are about 7 miles north of the Brookshire's in Hawkins. This year was the first time we were there for the fall color! No challenge to New England, but pretty just the same.

Wayne
In Texas. :D