PDA

View Full Version : Inboard outboard engine

JimD
11-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Good Old Boat issue 27 (Nov/Dec 2002) has an interesting article by someone who removed an old inboard engine from a 28 sloop and retrofitted a long shaft outboard in a well. But its not the typical well relatively open to water sloshing about in it, the shaft of the engine is cleverly fitted with a sort of flange that plugs the hull where it enters the water, but can still be easily removed so the outboard can be stowed and a separate plug fitted into the hole in the bottom. Looks like a very nifty idea. Anyone ever done it or seen it done outside of a magazine article?
jimd

Figment
11-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I've seen it on a few boats. the one I have the clearest memory of was 26' or so. the owner made the "plugs" himself, but he rarely ever bothered with the one that plugged the hole when the engine was "stowed". I think stowing that motor was just a huge hassle, and he was willing to live with the drag.

all three had problems with heat buildup in the motor well affecting performance. one fixed the problem by running with the hatch open (defeats the purpose in my mind, but to each their own). the other two rigged small blower motors that ran constant whenever the engine was running.

On Vacation
11-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Check this out.
http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005889

Bill Perkins
11-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Oyster , any idea why some of your posts are ID'd as "history " ? Like in the thread you link to .

On Vacation
11-04-2002, 02:01 PM
:confused: I will have a look at it. I just knew we had that discussion a few days back. It must be the COMMITTEE altering my mind. I just clicked on it and it came up Oyster. :confused: