PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Dhow Sailing

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2002, 12:55 PM
I got an itch its 12:30 thinking about shooting down and doing a little sailing. Temp here is 36F Wind Speed: 10*mph, Wind Direction: N*(350) Surface Temp: 74*F. So my question is what's the deal with cold weather sailing. I'm Used to kayaking in the Hudson in Feb so I have some cold weather gear I got a gasket top and neoprene gloves do I need all that ?? But then again capsizing is always a possibility. Input guys so I can come home to my daughter and wife. This will be good for future sailing since I'm bound to go out in snow I'm crazy like that when I get an itch I got to give it a try

[ 10-28-2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Garrett Lowell
10-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Joe,

I participate in a number of "frost bite" events in this area. The number one rule is (for small, open boats): don't go out alone, ever. I don't mean have someone with you in your boat, that's a given. I mean have someone with you in another boat. I don't know what the water temp is there, but you don't have long in a capsize or overboard situation if the water temp is below 50 degrees. Anyway, that's my take. Have fun, whatever you do.

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Current water temp is 74*F which is warmer than it is outside for sure. Like I said I have a dry top for kayaking and it has rubber gaskets on the wrists and neck and waist, keeps ya internals dry. Kinda hard to go sailing in a group since I don't have anyone local with similar little sail boat its a shame so I guess its kayaking once the water temp drops below 50F wont be long now :eek: I decided not to go got a bit busy with work here and the clouds are moving in ya need perfect sunny weather this time of year

ahp
10-28-2002, 03:04 PM
I have never sailed in the winter, but I have seen it done, with capsizes. Stamford Yacht Club, Stamford, Connecticut (and others) had frostbite series racing all during the winter, sometimes when the air temperature was below freezing and the water temperature close to it.

They dressed warm, wore life jackets, there was a crash boat following them around, and hot shower near by. Don't do it with less.

WFK
10-28-2002, 03:27 PM
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/

Hey Joe;
Here's what I wore in the frost bite series

Bill

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2002, 03:30 PM
COOL STUFF
I have this http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC/Pgonia/store/product.jsp?merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=127859&sku=85261

gert
10-28-2002, 03:39 PM
74 degree water????????? don't your boats melt? or the epoxy soften? I dought our water here ever gets above 50. I did some frost bite sailing on Saturday (alone) in sheltered fairly busy water; it was great but I do think I should heed some of this advise, thx.

Ian McColgin
10-28-2002, 03:40 PM
I love sailing and kayaking in the winter.

I recommend at the minimum a Mustang immersion suit for sailing. There's both ice and ocean models that are affordable (compared to the price of a casket) and can be worn in activity all day.

I've gone out with less, been in the cold cold water, and all that. Better to have the right gear.

Gary Bergman
10-29-2002, 12:20 AM
Handheld VHF in your suitpocket. Coast Guard will generally rescue you faster than you can save yourself from hypothermia playing with small craft.