PDA

View Full Version : message for Martin S.

Dale R. Hamilton
09-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Martin- any progress on locating charts of the River Mosel? Even a year out, I need to start plans for rowing trip- can't do much without chart. Thanks

martin schulz
09-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Well the problem is that I can certainly come up with charts, but I thought you haven't made up your mind where to go.

And then. Can you handle german books and charts?

I am sorry if it looks like I have forgotten about everything, well I haven't, I was just waiting for you to tell me which river you want to have a row on.

Dale R. Hamilton
09-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Ah sorry Martin- didn't realize. I guess we have chosen the Mosel- probably from Trier to Koblenz -downstream, whatever way that is. Seemes to fit my requirements- not too commercial, lovely sights along the way, B&B accomodations and taverns.

I would definately have to decode the German charts- I've had the language years ago, but would probably have to ask you for some explanation. Anyway- it would be for only a 100 km or so. Hope I'm not intruding too much.

martin schulz
09-21-2004, 02:36 AM
That's a good idea. Trier is a very nice old roman built city. There are still ruins of the old City gateway (Porta Nigra), the amphitheater and two big bath- and recreationhouses to be seen. Around the year 100 or so Trier already had 100.000 inhabitants while there were 100 living in Cologne.

And those Romans knew how to live. Those Bath- and Recreationhouses had indoor Gyms, heated floors and different kinds of saunas and baths.

I will get right in to it Dale (with the card/ book buisiness). ;)

Dale R. Hamilton
09-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks Martin- and I will start my homework as well. I've found that the more you know about the area- the more you enjoy your passage thru it. And to see it by rowboat, makes it extra special- and people treat you so special. I guess rowing boat says you really want to be here.

As you do your research, you might keep "boat" in mind. I will have to locate a boat builder or a club in the area that would be willing to rent me a work-type boat.

martin schulz
12-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Dale,
looking for proper maps for going about in a "Faltboot" (folding kajak) I stumbled over this page of a publisher who only does watertravel literature.

Jübermann publishing (http://www.juebermann.de/)

There you will easily find books, maps and everything else you need. If you have problems with the language or can't order anything directly just let me know. I am planning to buy some maps there anyway, so I could easily buy some for you as well.

Dale R. Hamilton
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Greetings Martin! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the website- I emailed him to ask for a chart of River Mosel from Trier to Koblenz. When I get It, I will probably have to ask you to decode some of the map notation- and especially where the beer stops might be.

martin schulz
12-09-2004, 06:24 AM
The Mosel will be in the "WW3 Wassersport-Wanderkte Deutschl. Südwest"

http://www.juebermann.de/Bsp/Bsp-WW3.gif

But as I also recommended the Lahn is a good idea (eventually leading to the Mosel - in Koblenz).
he has got a special river chart just for the Lahn:

http://www.juebermann.de/Artikeltabelle/Lahn/Bsp-Lahn.jpg