PDA

View Full Version : Boathooker

nevrdun
11-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Boathooker.
I can't find the posts about the agony-wait for #169, but I remember the post about winter-fallowing through back issues that can make a fix until that copy comes.
But be warned, if I may paraphrase an old map legend; 'There be drags on your time there.'
Last winter I started leafing through back issues starting at # 51 and got to #71 before getting gob smacked by the very definitive article on boathooks by Jon Wilson, and nothing would do but I make one that weekend. But then I made the mistake of turning the page and finding the Rick Cahoon article on making Peter Culler oars. I had to make those too. Thing is, I had 2 boats on horses for restoration and didn't need these side dishes taking up precious wood and glue.
So don't go into back issues unless you need something to do, the agony of choosing can really hurt.
BTW. This past summer both boats got wet, the hooker floats and hooks and the oars really move that sailboat when the air's dead.

Nevrdun

Tom Galyen
11-03-2002, 02:56 PM
And now that the latest issue is out you can make another boat hook totally out of wood.

Tom G.

skuthorp
11-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Ah yes, I know the problem. Like when you are half way through making a new rig and you find an alternative, and then another. And that says nothing about 3 different rudder setups and 5 different sail shapes and sprit rigs and 2 masts and............... And then you find a boat you just have to have and youv'e already got two and SWMBO is thinking in terms of extensions and kitchens!!! Sigh!!! it's a hard world!