PDA

View Full Version : Race 3

John Bell
02-17-2003, 07:24 PM
I missed the start while putting my daughter to bed, stories, prayers, etc. But here's what's happened so far, as best I can tell...

Alinghi won the start by 0:02, then profited by a big right hand shift giving them a 0:28 advantage at the first mark.

Fairly uneventful second leg, TNZ gained a bit. Got distracted by my bride and did not note the interval. :(

Midway up the second beat, TNZ appears to be gaining. Getting closer and I like it!

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Good racing, Thank God for ESPN 2 smile.gif

John Bell
02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
The interval at the second mark was 0:20 for Alinghi.

At the third mark (SUI-64 by 0:017) the wind had dropped quite a bit which meant TNZ gained quite bit more than what 3 seconds implies.

On leg 4, TNZ is still keeping up the pressure gaining a couple of boat lengths.

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Tight racing the next Jibe will tell a lot

John Bell
02-17-2003, 07:51 PM
SUI-64 by 0:15 at the 4th mark...

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 08:02 PM
This is as good as it gets. sitting on the edge of my seat :D I think TNZ is going to pull it off today smile.gif

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Midway up the third beat, SUI-64 took the left despite a consistent right hand tendency. Boats centered on the course, TNZ on the right and gaining as the wind is coming around their way. They still gotta pass though. The final leg could be interesting...

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
This is as good as it gets. sitting on the edge of my seat :D I think TNZ is going to pull it off today smile.gif Didja see yesterday, that was good!

TNZ still has to pass... Not easy! It is getting good though. TNZ does look like it might be a bit faster, but not by much.

skuthorp
02-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Do you know about the problems caused by the NZ crew on the Swiss boat? Accusations of treason, death threats, police protection. Ridiculous!

Rocky
02-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Hope it's over by 9. More Michael Jackson!

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by John Bell:
Didja see yesterday, that was good!I had to work last night so I had to read about it today . That sounded like it was amazing
:eek: Felt sorry fpr those boys briliant sailing though

OOOH MAN 17mph winds now TNZ lossed some on that last tack

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Been following all along, skulthorp... Just part of the fun of the AC! If Coutts wins, don't think he could ever live in NZ again.

Coming to the 5th mark SUI looks to have overstood.

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
SUI gained by 0:06 at the 5th mark, terrible spin set by TNZ. Sailing a long way with the jib up and no spin pole. SUI-64 just needs to cover to win. Gonna be some long faces in Aukland tomorrow.

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Awwwwwwww spinnaker problem on TNZ 4 lengths back man these guys cant catch a break

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Rocky:
Hope it's over by 9. More Michael Jackson!You're weird, man! ;)

Hwyl
02-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the postings, this is the best coverage. I don't have cable and it's snowing here in Maine (I could have watched it at work, but being snowed in in work would mean more work) tried every NZ radio station I could find on line: THEY ARE PLAYING MUSIC????

imported_Steven Bauer
02-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Alinghi by 4.5 boat lengths

[ 02-17-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Steven.Bauer ]

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:26 PM
SUI-64 controlling the favored side on the final run, not looking like they are going to make any mistakes. NZL just jibed over on port to try to get in SUI's breeze, SUI covers... Coutts not going to make a mistake...

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
TNZ was faster both up wind and down wind but barring mjor problem with Alinghi not good enough to win. Remember no boat has ever won with a 0 - 3 loss

imported_Steven Bauer
02-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Almost over now, it's not lookin' good for NZL - 6.5 lengths

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Alinghi WINS

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:32 PM
SUI-64 crosses first.

TNZ is in a deep hole 0-3, but with a fast boat. Anything could happen...

Hwyl
02-17-2003, 08:36 PM
They have to win 5 out of the next 6 races, now that Barker knows his boat is faster, and if the wind holds up. I guess it's possible.

John B
02-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Bummer.

Of Course Coutts wll be able to live in NZ. When it's over it's over.
They are looking so strong. what a machine. no mistakes. Butterworth and Jones are clairvoyant tactical weather men......

Still. I remember Australia II being 3 down in 1983......

John Bell
02-17-2003, 08:43 PM
TNZ needs to win the next start to have chance. Coutts seems to have gotten the side he wanted in races 2 and 3. Guessing we see a new tactician tomorrow, or possibly a different starting helmsman. Who have they got?

Wild Wassa
02-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Silver Fern gained 5 seconds over the final 5 legs. It shows that the boat isn't the weak link.

The damage was done in the starting box when they allowed Alinghi to cross their stern, Alinghi then dictated the start. When Barker circled and Coutts sailied off to port, he (Coutts) must have thought that Xmas had come early. It definitaly gave Coutts the good end. I'm surprised that Barker didn't chase him then, in an attempt to keep him out. It would have meant chasing on the port tack, but Coutts started on the port tack. They certainly wouldn't have lost the 28 seconds that they did on their limp first beat.

I think he showed Barker contempt in the starting box. Coutts is the real competitor.

Warren.

[ 02-18-2003, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Tom Lathrop
02-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Looks like to me that the boats are nearly equal in speed potential. The crew and afterguard in the "Swiss" boat are clearly superior to their ocounterparts in the "New Zealand" boat so the outcome is predictable.

In race 2, lack of discipline on Team NZ caused them to forget basic downwind tactics and allow the "Swiss" to get their wind and pass when all they had to do was not be suckered into following the trailing boat in a course further to windward than necessary.

Notice that Brad Butterworth saved Coutts from the same error when threatened later by Team NZ. Butterworth is the real brains on that boat. Coutts overruled Butterworth several times on windward legs in tonights race and lost distance every time.

Sounds pretty simple but, in the heat of battle, the best strategies often are forgotten.

[ 02-17-2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Tom Lathrop ]

John E Hardiman
02-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Looking at the results so far... I wonder if the hula is causing more ploblems than it's solving. If the boats are equal in speed, and one boat has to pull the strings on another device, the simplier boat is both faster...and better. As Robert Heinlein said " give a man too much to watch and some neantheral is going to come up behind him and club him to death with a stone axe".

Wild Dingo
02-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Keep the running commentarys coming fellas!!! I cant see it but by gar you fellas are discribing it amply for my imagination to carry the dream... thanks mates :cool:

John B
02-18-2003, 01:52 PM
One of the positive things happening here is the absolutely phenomenal TV coverage. I don't know what you see... who broadcasts and what sydication arrangements there are etc, but here Television 1 do an amazing job( albeit with some roundly criticised ad breaks in the first race) with a very good commentary, cuts to Virtual spectator, some amazing chopper footage and of course, the onboard stuff. You hear what they are saying on the boats.
In yesterdays race start, Jones aboard Alinghi wanted the left but when they were having to compete too hard for it said something like , 'oh well, the right will be fine.'. Melges, Spithall and Cayard to name a few, all on board the main media boat all made the left as the best end. That shift to the right just after the start was unprecedented in the hour before the race And TNZ went for and won that left end. So to be fair, they were unlucky in this choice. And of course, that choice defined the race.

Alinghi is a machine. Faultless. And yes, I do know that a good sailor makes his own good luck, but Yesterday... that was one of those things.

John Bell
02-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I think ESPN is carrying the TVNZ feed, with Gary Jobson and ??? providing the commentary. We're getting the on board mikes and the VS stuff as well.

With only a dialup at home, I resisted getting VS, now I wish I had...