• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brian.cunningham
    Multihuller
    • Jan 2002

No thread on that oil tanker???

Amazing, seeing the spill is bigger that the Exxon Valdez

So do you think it will really solidify two miles down?

I'm thinking Spain better get used to oil with their fish!
    Brian T. Cunningham
    SWIFTWOOD - my schooner rigged trimaran sailing kayak
    http://members.aol.com/swiftwood/
  • Alan D. Hyde
    • Jul 2000

Brian, that would be the "I am sick of it" thread further down on this Forum...

Alan

Comment

• ishmael
      Banned
      • Jun 2000

Brian,

Check out Martin's thread, I'm sick of it, or something like that.

Comment

• nicholasc
        Flâneur • Seattle
        • Feb 2001

Stan and a couple of other guys tell us that the occasional big oil spill is no big deal -- we need to trim the sea gull population anyway.

'Course they don't have to live with it.

Hey Stan -- how'd you like a big oil spill right in the middle of your favorite deer hunting turf?
        “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
        — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• martin schulz
          Museumharbour CEO
          • Jan 2001

Feel free to add anything new to my "I am sick of it" -post.

This catastrophy is such an outragious thing - I wish this post to have at least as many replies as the oh-so-funny " I need some humor" -post.

Comment

• ACB
            • Feb 2000

Martin, I am sick of it too.

I am also sick that the Spanish Government have the Master of the "Prestige", an elderly man, in prison, with more bail required than if he was a murderer, for the "crime" of refusing to start his engine and move further off the coast, because, as he said, it would worsen the damage. He was right.

This behaviour by the Spaniards is barbaric.

Comment

• martin schulz
              Museumharbour CEO
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by ACB:

I am also sick that the Spanish Government have the Master of the "Prestige", an elderly man, in prison, with more bail required than if he was a murderer, for the "crime" of refusing to start his engine and move further off the coast, because, as he said, it would worsen the damage. He was right.
              I don't know if this guy is right or just trying to dafe his skin. What I am certain of is that it is really problematic to get to those people that do act ignorant to all environmental issues. The same thing applies to those whose tanker deliberately pump their slush in the oceans. What happens is always the same. If you get those ships the captain/master will always say that he was more or less ordered/forced to act this way and the company he is working for just pays the fine, but will try to dump their stuff again - because it is cheaper than disposing it in the harbour. I wonder at what point people start thinking about their responsibility to all of us.

Perhaps the fines for those who can be arrested should be so high that the risk is too high for a single person to take it when he knows his company is breaking the law. Right now any skipper will take the risk, because he knows he can get off easily. And if we can't get at those who run the business, we should prevent people from working for them. And since that doesn't work too good with their bad conscience other measures should be taken.

Comment

• ahp
                • Jan 2001

Don't feel too sorry for the seagulls. There are too many of them.

I few years ago I got talking with a bunch birders on Block Island. One of the things they did regularly was to go out, well dressed in foul weather gear, to the little rocky islets where the gulls nest and stomp eggs.

Gulls are nasty opportunists. One of their favorite opportunities is other young birds still in the nest. They make a nice meal.

By keeping the gull population down, other shore birds have a better chance.

Comment

• Alan D. Hyde
                  • Jul 2000

Seagulls.

Rats with wings.

Designed by a marketing guy to look more appealing.

Alan

Comment

• ishmael
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2000

The reasoning (ahem) re seagulls, escapes me. What, somehow oil spills selectively target gulls and leave other shore birds alone?

Comment

• Alan D. Hyde
                      • Jul 2000

Oh, I don't like the spill and I'm sorry it happened.

I do agree with Andrew, though, about the Captain.

And, had she been brought into harbor, the magnitude of the spill would likely have been modest in comparison to what happened.

The Spanish and Portuguese authorities are to blame for failing to act appropriately so as to minimize the harm.

Years ago, I got very tired of cleaning seagull excrement off my Snipe, so I don't like seagulls very well. (So that post was just an aside, Jack.)

Alan

Comment

• ACB
                        • Feb 2000

Originally posted by martin schulz:
                        I don't know if this guy is right or just trying to save his skin. What I am certain of is that it is really problematic to get to those people that do act ignorant to all environmental issues. The same thing applies to those whose tanker deliberately pump their slush in the oceans. what happens is always the same If you get those ships the captain/master will always say that he was more or less ordered/forced to act this way and the company he is working for just pays the fine, but will try to dump their stuff again - because it is cheaper than disposing it in the harbour. I wonder at what point people start thinking about their responsibility to all of us.

Perhaps the fines for those who can be arrested should be so high that the risk is too high for a single person to take it when he knows his company is breaking the law. Right now any skipper will take the risk, because he knows he can get off easily. And if we can't get at those who run the business, we should prevent people from working for them. And since that doesn't work too good with their bad conscience other measures should be taken.[/QB]
                        Well, Martin, some of my friends are tanker captains, tanker mates and tanker engineers, so I am unlikely to be agreeing with you on this one. And if you go back to your earlier thread, you will find a post by me about the days when I ran tankers, and let me tell you that we NEVER did that.

Quite the reverse, actually - those ships were separating their recycleable waste before it became mandatory.

On one occasion one of those ships transferred her re-cyleable domestic waste to a shore boat, which we had hired for the purpose, as she passed Singapore, to be taken ashore for reprocessing.

Within sight of the ship, the Singaporean shore boat tipped the lot, which they had been paid to take ashore, into the sea.

Luckily the tanker's Bosun, a "simple, ignorant" Filipino (actually he was a very good seaman) had a camera with him.

Comment

• brian.cunningham
                          Multihuller
                          • Jan 2002

Thanks
                          I'm on dial-up
                          Brian T. Cunningham
                          SWIFTWOOD - my schooner rigged trimaran sailing kayak
                          http://members.aol.com/swiftwood/

Comment

• ahp
                            • Jan 2001

No IsHmael, oil spills do no selectively target gulls. I was indulging in a digression. We do a lot of that here.

Comment

Working...