PDA

View Full Version : A better grip on the tiller

Captain Pre-Capsize
10-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I've been piddlin' around with the tiller and managed to make it a good deal more comfy - thought I'd pass it on.

I rounded off the four corners a bit and then glued a piece of pine to the top side of the tiller. This piece I glued on runs along the top of the tiller four inches and has the cross section profile of a flattened half round. That is, it is flat (of course) on the edge glued to the tiller and then rounded over from one side of the tiller to the other.

The whole was epoxy coated and then varnished. Then I soaked three leather shoe laces in Lexol and wrapped them tightly around this section of the tiller that my hand falls onto. They were applied to the tiller as if I were whipping the end of a rope but I was "whipping" the hand hold on the tiller.

So what you end up with is a leather grip on the tiller with a very slight hump to it on the topside. With your hand on the tiller it is a perfect fit and there is just something tactile about leather. Not until I was done did I realize the tiller now matches the leathered oars.

AngWood
10-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Where's your photo of the tiller? No admission without photo ID.

Wooden Boat Fittings
10-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Ah.... "Lexol?" Que es, por favor?

Mike

Captain Pre-Capsize
10-05-2004, 06:07 PM
It is a leather preservative that is white and a very thin liquid so it soaks in well. The alternative is mink oil which is much thicker.

Wooden Boat Fittings
10-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Ah.

Gracias.

smile.gif