PDA

View Full Version : Images of the Victoria Clasic Boat Festival

Tim Diebert
09-06-2004, 07:24 PM
My wife and I try and go every year.
Just thought you might like to see just a few images of the stuff that appeals to me.
Cheers

VCBF04 (http://www.timtone.com/tt/ttphotos/VCBF04.htm)

Norske3
09-06-2004, 07:47 PM
WOW! ....Excellent...Great photos..Cinemascope shots...the variety of boats blows my woodenhead away! smile.gif

Thank you for sharing.

[ 09-07-2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]

NormMessinger
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks much. Nice pictures, dandy boats.

brian.cunningham
09-06-2004, 11:36 PM
The best collection of steamers I've seen so far.

Swaddo
09-07-2004, 07:12 AM
Damn nice photos. Anyone have any idea what design "Pia" is (last photo)?

[ 09-07-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Swaddo ]

Norske3
09-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Yes, what is it?...Swedish/Danish design ?..I've seen one before but don't recall what it was...luv it.

garland reese
09-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Oh my! Tell us more of Pia! Lovely. Great picture. All of the pictures are very nice, thanks for sharing. :cool:

MJC
09-07-2004, 09:14 AM
What design is this?

http://www.timtone.com/tt/ttphotos/images/VCBF6.jpg

We need to know more! As much as we beg for pictures, sometimes they just aren't enough!

[ 09-07-2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: MJC ]

Tim Diebert
09-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Sorry, I was away for a bit there.

The Pia is a Spidsgatter. Perhaps more info to come.

The Norse looking rascal...I am not sure of. I only recall that she was an 8 or 10 person rowing design and was quite long....26'?

When I go to this show I am always with friends and tend to be holding them back just with picture taking, let alone info gathering.

As I put that webpage together, the thought had occured to me that it was dumb not to include some info on the images. Next year. :D

Tim Diebert
09-07-2004, 04:15 PM
I added another image of Pia as well as a shot of her posted spec sheet on the web page.

web page (http://www.timtone.com/tt/ttphotos/VCBF04.htm)

JimD
09-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Tim, thanks for the pics. I had been hoping all year to be able to go but in the end couldn't get away. Maybe next year...

Tim Diebert
09-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Well worth the effort Jim.
You can walk for miles all around the harbour now. Lot's of stuff going on. Entertainment on the causeway...water taxi's and airplanes all over the place.
I saw the show from a kayak last year. That was fun and different.

I can see that would be a long drive for you. From where we are it is 6 1/2 hours plus the ferry. Calgary is about 6-7 hours from here....though I guess you might take #1 and cut that down some.

Tom Galyen
09-07-2004, 11:11 PM
MJC

The boat your asking about looks very much like mine only is longer. There was one like it in Port Townsend, WA when I picked up mine in 1999 that was owned by the Wooden Boat Foundation there and was called I believe "Townsend". A photo of her can be seen on page 112 of the book "The Wooden Boat" by Joseph Gribbins.

Mine is rigged as a Lug Ketch as I believe is the "Townsend". I would guess that this boat is the same.

There is also a similiar boat that was owned by I believe the North Carolina Maritime museum in Beaufort, NC called I believe "Silver Chalice". I have a picture of her as wallpaper on my laptop at work.

Hope this may help you.

All the photos are great! I believe the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Townsend, WA is building a Spidsgatter or whatever this year.

Tom Galyen

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-07-2004, 11:46 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ion barnes
09-08-2004, 02:40 AM
I could not get there till Monday(hey hon, can I buy you breakfast in Victoria?). Was talking to one chap from Port Townsend, and he said that the number of boats attending this year was down by about half from about 130 last year. Its a great spot what with the Empress Hotel as a backdrop, but the wharf facilities are lacking. There is just not enough space to see the boats properly when they are rafted up four and five deep. It would be better if they were at the wharves on the otherside of Ships Pier. I was at PT two years ago and was very impressed with the different venues; way better than the hometown show! Did anyone go to the Vancouver show?

TimH
09-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Who all is going to Port Townsend this year?