PDA

View Full Version : AS MUCH AS I HATE MOTORS...help?

Pernicious Atavist
08-30-2004, 10:21 AM
okay. now, this is more out of neccesity than desire. i got caught out (again) when the wind died. methinks (as does crewmate #1) i need to consider a motor <weep>

i don't want a motor.
i have to bypass alot of days on the water because i know i'll be becalmed.
the hot weather here often kills the wind.
it's a b!@#$%! trying to lkaunch and recover at a ramp under sail when the ramps are designed for power crft.
i don't want a motor.
however....

the boat is a thistle...racing-type, planing hull, 17-feet. a squirrel could move this....

so...<weep> any suggestions for an inexpensive motor <weep> for this thing? i figure gas due to lightness when a battery is taken into account for electric. it would be stowed until needed.

:( :( :( :( :( :confused:

martin schulz
08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Forget the motor.

A chap in the Museumharbour owns a 20tn norwegian salmoncutter. 10 years ago he lost his prop and decided to live/sail without it.

Why don't you consider a little dinghy to tow your boat in?

Ian McColgin
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
What's the problem with rowing?

A really light little kicker can be hung on the transom either directly or by bracket. The inside of the boat would not be pleasant with a motor laying about so figgure you'd leave it hanging for all the world and God to see the desecration of the lovely boat.

On calm days, adjust the goal to where ever you might row to or home from and lots of swimming.

I've been wondering about a not-class-sanctioned addition of a couple of plates on Il Pipi's rudder to act as steps and make boarding easier. The current approach of a bit of line hanging as a bight from the transom corners and reaching just below the waterline behind the rudder works for me but n ot all have tough feet and either a tough abdomen or the dexterity to pivot while toppling to the boat such that your butt hits the transom.

G'luck and keep rowing.

Pernicious Atavist
08-30-2004, 11:15 AM
a dingy to tow the boat in? once i've become becalmed...how do i get to the dingy? hmmm....i think i know where you're coming from, though.

as for rowing, i've thought of that, but would have to add oarlocks on this one design boat. it's not really stout enough for locks, i think. and i'd need long oars due to the freeboard at the proper point. could be done, and have thought of that.....

Gresham CA
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
A couple of the folks at our club use those Cruise&Carrys on their Hobies. When they are sailing they just bungy it to the trampolene.

John Bell
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
How about a small 33# thrust Minn-Kota trolling motor and a 35# 75AH deep cycle battery?

I've seen a couple Thistles in our local fleet out messing about with 2HP Hondas on the transom. They remove them for racing, though.

Ian McColgin
08-30-2004, 05:36 PM
The gunnel of a Thistle will hold up rowlocks, but it might be less intrusive if you sculled between suitable pins in the transom.

Gary E
08-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Gitcha a big Lab, they love to swim and are powerfull nuf to pull your boat.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-30-2004, 06:02 PM
How about a small 33# thrust Minn-Kota trolling motor and a 35# 75AH deep cycle battery?

I've seen a couple Thistles in our local fleet out messing about with 2HP Hondas on the transom. They remove them for racing, though. What he said ;)

phiil
08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Ditto on the Honda 2HP. I use one on my SeaPearl 21. at 21X5.5 ft and 600 lbs, it's similar to your Thistle in mass. Honda-san at 27 pounds is still less weight than an electric job and the requisite battery. Mostly it stays in the car, but I throw in under the cockpit if I think I might need it. 4 cycle means no mixing fuel, and a pint per hour can't be beat. I still drift up the river if I have time, row if I need to, but I am too old and too smart to miss dinner.

Phil, in Long Island Sound

Scott Rosen
08-30-2004, 09:27 PM
I bought a Honda 2hp this year and have used it a few times. It seems to have a lot of power for a 2hp engine, and ought to be more than enough to push a Thistle along in a calm. It's light, clean and real easy to use.

Pernicious Atavist
08-30-2004, 11:52 PM
hey! a honda...can't be beat as far as i've heard...2hp should about do it. it's small enough to fit under the foredeck. thanks!
now...what's that smelly stuff you put in it to make it go?..... :cool: :rolleyes:

MarkC
08-31-2004, 10:24 AM
No - I'll vote for the Mini-Kota - and you dont need to lug a big battery around, a smaller motorcycle battery will do

ahp
08-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Cruise&Carry"?

Pernicious Atavist
09-01-2004, 05:06 AM
a motorcycle batterey will drive a trolling motor? and, yeah, whatis a c&c?
thanks!

Ian McColgin
09-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Note that all these little motors smell, take up space in the boat when you want to sail clean and get them off the transom, and move you almost as fast as a nice pair of 10' oars.

I've not made I' Pipi's oarlocks yet. Am torn between sit-down facing aft and something a bit higher so I can row standing facing foreward.

George.
09-01-2004, 08:08 AM
I vote for the Minn-Kota. We use one on a dugout canoe, to survey wildlife along Amazon rivers. Tough as nails, and will run for an hour at full speed on a 50-amp battery.

I bet the battery plus motor weigh less than a gas outboard plus fuel, and there is no smell and no noise. Plus the weight of the battery goes down low where it belongs, and the motor itself is light and easy to pull off the transom and stash when not needed.

Figment
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I think that the determinant between gas and electric should be how far you expect yourself to be from home when you get becalmed.

If you're never farther than 30 minutes or so, the gas engine will be tolerable. If you think you'll get caught an hour or two from home, the electric will make for a MUCH more pleasant ride.

(I got caught in a calm and had to motor FOUR HOURS home a couple of weeks ago. I'm doing a lot of headscratching now, trying to find a way to go electric.)