PDA

View Full Version : Free boat !

Adam C
11-19-2002, 03:04 PM
For all those masochists out there, I've got one for you. This is the boat that was next to HIGHLAND LIGHT when I was after that one. Free to a good home.

Details:

1928 - 73' Staysail schooner, Marconi Rigged, 61' on deck. Edson B. Schock design. Built at Chalker & Whiting in Long Beach

Won Transpac in 1934: MANUIWA Harold Dillingham 13:12:30:51 12:09:29:56 1 A-1

Ex. HIGHLANDER, now MANUIWA. Her picture is on the wall in the LA Yacht Club with Al Christie, her original owner.

Call Henry, her owner at
1-310-710-1497. She is currently in a slip for $560 bucks a month, and he needs out now!

I was aboard her when looking at HIGHLAND LIGHT. She is hurting, but is a far nicer design than HIGLAND LIGHT. She has many neat fittings and bronze bits. Serious restoration required.

[ 11-19-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Adam C ]

Adam C
11-19-2002, 03:11 PM
More info:

Manuiwa 72 15 2200 ex Highlander Design: Edson B.Shock, Los Angeles Built: Chalker and Whiting Boatworks Launched: August 1928 One of the first stays'le schooner yachts following Advance, (1924) Winner 1934 Transpacific Yacht Race and many other bluewater events when owned by 2nd owner Commodore Harold Dillingham, founder Pearl Harbor Yacht Club Presently owned by Greg and Jean Alexander, manuiwa@aol.com Calif

Dave Fleming
11-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Why Why ye hippycrite ye. after what you posted to the thread just recently in Building and Repair and here you are shilling for another basket case. For shame! :D :D :D

Geeze Louise, where oh where in SoCal could you put the thing whilst working on it?

Give us a photo of it, if you can.

Dave Fleming
11-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Dillingham was and probably still is big name in the Islands.

Adam C
11-19-2002, 03:17 PM
http://www.whyc.org/pages/galler-b.htm

Here is a link. scroll down to the middle and there are two tiny photos of her in better days. I don't think this Greg Alexander guy owns her anymore.

Adam

Joe (SoCal)
11-19-2002, 03:27 PM
Ill take it Ill take it - Scott hurry up slap me in my face before I buy a plane ticket smile.gif

Norske3
11-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Lets all "chip in" and buy Joe Hudson a plane ticket before he changes his mind......then we could all sit back and watch the "progress reports".... smile.gif

Lowell Bernhardt
11-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Joe I'll volunteer my back yard. We'll just have to cover it with leaves so SWMBO won't catch on. :D

Mr. Know It All
11-19-2002, 08:12 PM
A boat with that history would make it a great restoration project. What kind of wood is she made of? Is there a survey?
Kevin in Ohio

Chris Coose
11-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Shhhhhhhhh.
Don't tell Dingo.

Bill Dux
01-04-2017, 02:16 AM
More info:

Manuiwa 72 15 2200 ex Highlander Design: Edson B.Shock, Los Angeles Built: Chalker and Whiting Boatworks Launched: August 1928 One of the first stays'le schooner yachts following Advance, (1924) Winner 1934 Transpacific Yacht Race and many other bluewater events when owned by 2nd owner Commodore Harold Dillingham, founder Pearl Harbor Yacht Club Presently owned by Greg and Jean Alexander, manuiwa@aol.com Calif

I realize that this post is 4 years old now, but wonder if anyone knows what happened to the, Manu'iwa. We owned her many years ago in the 60's in Hawai'i, and even at that time she was in very poor shape. I was a very young kid at the time, and would remember that, Mr. Dillingham himself would drive down to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor, and buy us kids ice cream. Something you don't forget. He was so happy having someone working on her. She was put back together somewhat, sold, and spent many years in the, Ala Wai. But then we lost track of her. So any news would be very appreciated.

zertgold
01-12-2017, 11:20 PM
So the thread has a picture:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-manuiwa-schooner-at-the-start-of-the-transpacific-race-in-1936-picture-id104421004

Larks
01-13-2017, 01:49 AM
I realize that this post is 4 years old now, but wonder if anyone knows what happened to the, Manu'iwa. We owned her many years ago in the 60's in Hawai'i, and even at that time she was in very poor shape. I was a very young kid at the time, and would remember that, Mr. Dillingham himself would drive down to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor, and buy us kids ice cream. Something you don't forget. He was so happy having someone working on her. She was put back together somewhat, sold, and spent many years in the, Ala Wai. But then we lost track of her. So any news would be very appreciated.

More like 14 years Bill, but good luck with your search. I hope someone here is able to offer some news for you, it’ll be interesting to see what has become of her.

Jay Greer
01-13-2017, 02:18 PM
She is a thing of beauty! Lets hope she meets the right man!
Jay