PDA

View Full Version : Hey John B

Paul Pless
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
You've been around, a few years longer than I, and you've probably recounted your history of being the caretaker for your fabulous gaffer, Waione, but I've never heard it.

If your so inclined, could you give me a brief snapshot, of how she came to own you, what was she like when you she first came to you.

Thanks,
Paul

Donn
10-06-2005, 05:06 PM
"Brief snapshot" Phooey! I imagine I've read every one of John's posts, and drooled over the pics, but I'd love to see a long, highly-detailed story of the whole adventure, with numerous illustrations, and maybe even an orchestral score. :D

I wish Ian Wright had done the same thing. :(

John B
10-06-2005, 05:47 PM
You.. you.. want me to talk about my boat?( intake of breath, shakes head, makes 'st st st st' noise)

I dunno , Im not sure. NO nO nO No YES. :D :D

I'll look for an old post I just happened to have prepared earlier........

Donn
10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
What a cheep hooer! :D

John B
10-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I resemble that remark! ;) ( but I've heard it before.....)

I'm not convinced I should . yes OK I am. :D
Hey ,I'll put it up in the weekend or next week eh. there's already one Waione pic post going.

Paul Pless
10-06-2005, 08:00 PM
I'll put it up in the weekend or next week eh.ooh yes! Gonna put some time and effort into it.

Can't wait! Thank you John. smile.gif

btw, I noticed your boats centenial birthday coming up soon, How does one go about getting an invite to that party? ;)

[ 10-06-2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

John B
10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
can't I just sneak it past, under the radar? ;)

I'll have to do something won't I. Its a year and a half away ......OMG I'm starting to panic.

Phew.. DECEMBER 07!!

[ 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Wild Dingo
10-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I never thought Id live to see the day!! :eek:

I mean a kiwi :rolleyes: ... a sheep chucker!! tongue.gif ... hessitating about a reason to have a hungi???? :eek: Your joking right John???? I mean Im staggered!!

Nooooooooooo this cant be right!!! :mad: I tell yer what to celabrate her birthdy how about yer just load er up an sail her over this way ol boy?? I mean if yer hessitatin about havin a shindig for the ol girl then she needs to be where she will be loved ;)

John B
10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm wondering if I can get a rum company to sponsor her 100th year. hmmmmmmm. I can see it now...
" free rum on waione". has a nice ring to it.

Now Dingo.. I have an immediate problem you may be able to advise on (being an old fella an all).. See , one of the sprogs.. the eldest one ,of the female persuasion , has just turned 14 yesterday ( the 6th).
I mean.. I can take the boat out in 40, I can build a rig, I can handle a boat and I can push a car.. but this.. this .. I'm a not sure I like it one little bit.

How do I get out of it?

14!.. she's about 2 in this shot
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/pf299ab5ebec55f7c636f9498911f55a2/f41779a7.jpg
geez.. I'm off to have a crisis.

can you get a life jacket for this kind of situation....?

[ 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

bamamick
10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
JohnB; I am certainly not the esteemed Mr.Eyre, but as a father of three pretty good girls myself (ages 17, 21, and 21), I would like to offer this one small piece of advice. I got this from a very dear friend of mine who was the father of four beautiful daughters himself (sadly, he passed away this summer).

I asked Roy (my friend) the same thing you are asking now when my girls were approaching their teenage years. He put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye and said 'Mickey, you raise them right, and then you TRUST them'. Told me that he had never lost a minute's sleep worrying over his girls because he trusted them to do the right thing. I took his advice, and so far I've never regretted it.

We never really treated our girls like babies. We always treated them like small people, and it paid off, I think.

Anyway. Just two cents worth.

Mickey Lake

John B
10-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks Mickey. You're absolutely right of course. She's actually a very good girl.

I'm sure I'll be fine. :D

[ 10-07-2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

John B
10-07-2005, 04:09 PM
My pleasure Mike. Umm... the first 2 little boats she used and went through but she's had a sabot for rowing since she was 5. She was a competent rower by 3 years old.The last 2 little boats I built "on forum" were for the 2 smaller kids .Tom is 10 now and Zoe is 8.I'm wondering whether they'll fit them this year actually.And Tom is showing interest in sailing the tender now( glass sailing dinghy).Its a puzzle really. not sure what we'll do. I might need to shift the wee girl up a boat perhaps and make the brother share the sabot/ sail the tender.?

[ 10-07-2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Paul Pless
10-25-2005, 09:52 PM
bump