PDA

View Full Version : new Honda 4 stroke generators

Dale R. Hamilton
10-24-2002, 04:58 PM
I need to buy a generator for my rv and have noticed the new generation of light weight, 4 stroke generators from Honda.
that are reasonably priced. Model EX 5500K2 "Super Quiet" is an automotive type 4 stroke that cranks out 120V/240V at 5500 Watts, key start, liquid cooled- and still weighs less that 400 pounds. Any experience out there guys?. Wondering if they are as good as the Onans- they certainly have a power to price advantage. Check out Mayberrys.com.

Billy Bones
10-24-2002, 05:19 PM
We can count on frequent and long (>1week) power outages and for the most part Hondas are the rule. There is an Onan dealer here, but they're too expensive and troublesome. Hondas are forgotten until needed, at which time you change the gas and pull 4 times and run as necessary.

Buddy Sharpton
10-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Don't know about that model specifically, but the smaller Honda's syre are bear tuff. Slickest deal I ever saw was putting one of the little ones in a mesk laundry bag, hanging it from the bow pulpit of a sailboat with bongees to minimise noise and vibration. Put a hundred dollar GE Carry Cool Room air condition in a plywood " dropboard" insert and you got an air conditioned yacht in hottest Florida. Got to buy a new Ac every five years or so if you store it below when not in use. Only weighs about like a heavy suitcase. Looked to me like the guy had a handle on the whole at anchor situation for less than the cost for a marine on the hatch air conditioner alone that could only be used at the dock. The Honda's run that quiet and that clean on the same fuel carried for his outboard. I wonder why I don't see it more often.

GaryLowell
10-25-2002, 09:11 AM
I too, am looking for a small, quite generator and found the site <generatorsearch.com> it is a link to the generator I was looking for. The Hondas have always had the best recommendations til I saw the Yamaha. It was a little bit quiter, lighter and cheaper. I just hope it has the reliability of a Honda.

Dale R. Hamilton
10-25-2002, 09:44 AM
I know Honda's 4 stroke outboards are pretty slick, quiet, powerful, efficient. Wonder if they use the same technology in their generators. One thing kinda bothers me about the Honda's is they come with a gas tank good to run 5.5 hours. Thats not near good enough, Realize I can up the tankage easily enough, but it make me think these were meant to run only 5.5 hours and not continuously as the situation might require.

Buddy Sharpton
10-25-2002, 03:53 PM
That 2000 watt Honda would be just right, cause you need to consider the starting amps. At that lower running load, it will run all night on a full tank.